BMW M5 experience as Courtesy car, whilst My E63 was in for repair…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nico2014

Car
W204 C220 CDI sport, W204 C350 CDI Sport, W212 E350 CDI Sport and Now E63 AMG 6.3 AMG PP
Sadly nearly 3 weeks ago, my E63 had a minor accident: another car went in the back of mine (minor hit) when I was stationary at a traffic light, the driver misjudged the distance and braked a little too late. It resulted with a minor scratch and damage on my rear left bumper. The driver immediately admitted liability and with my car insurance, all was taken care of: a like for like car was offered whilst my E63 went for repair: So I had a BMW M5 (2014) for just over a week (this was the car they had available at the time).

After driving the M5 for a week (now back with my E63), I thought of sharing my experience to you all, what this m5 car is like to drive…

First glance: the car looks great, it looks long with wide body shape, rear looks a bit to heavy to my liking but I do like the 4 exhaust pipes. The alloys were 20’ so very big and looked good with the shape of this car.

Boot size: I was disappointed with the size of the boot unfortunately as it is much smaller than the E63 and much less practical. A small detail to attention was noticed when the boot is open, is that there is no way of closing it by pulling it down from the inside so if it is raining or if the boot bonnet is dirty, you will get your hands wet or dirty to close the boot. Well done Mercedes, you have thought it through…

BMW doors: I must say that I was shocked how light the doors were, which did not make me feel ‘safe’. I know that they are light as they must be made of aluminium, this was a bit of a surprise and disappointment. The E63 doors feel very strong and solid unlike this BMW. So for me, Mercedes got this right and it was a bit of a disappointment with the BMW as it felt like a cheap car door.
One cool thing with the doors is that during night time, when you unlock the car all 4 door handles lit, which looks really beautiful and makes the car stands out more.

Interior: The interior looks nice, but again when I seat in, and close the door, I felt squashed in a confined space so I did not like that. When seating inside you also realise more how wide and long the body of this car is compare to the E63. Despite this, the driver seat is very good with lots of adjustments possible. The seat is overall extremely comfortable and a bit better than the E63.

Steering wheel: It looks good I have to say, but the steering wheel felt too big to hold, you have got to have long and big fingers to get a good grip of the steering wheel (and I am a big guy myself). So this was a bit of a miss for me as you get the feeling you are driving a big and fat car made for ‘big people’. So I prefer my E63 steering wheel with the suede leather, which is great to hold.

The buttons on the steering wheels: well, it was difficult for me to get used to the various buttons on the left and right of the steering wheel. There are too many in my view and can be a bit too confusing when driving. But having said this, with time and getting used to them you would eventually like them. I like the M1 or M2 buttons available on the steering wheels and you could play along make some changes with the feel of the steering wheels, chassis, suspension, ESP etc or you could alternatively select these options with buttons near the gear box, but there are far to much options to be playing along and it gets too confusing. I prefer the settings of the E63, which are easier and thanks goodness we have the ‘AMG’ button, which quickly changes the car to a beast in one click! I love that. So in my view BMW made their settings options overly complicated still.

Dashboard: it looks clear but one thing I was annoyed with is the clock, it is a tiny digital one on the dashboard so it was not always easy to check the time unlike the E63 (which I love having on the dashboard). The display was very clear and bright. With the option of driver assistance program or ‘hologram’ projection on the screen, which was displaying the speed when on efficiency mode and the rev with speed when on sports mode, it was IMO a ‘cheap’ technology as the display was not very bright or sharp. Although, it was great to have as an option, I would certainly not miss it in my car.

The control display (I Drive system): Huge screen with excellent quality and the programs available are all very good but you need to spend quite a bit of time to get used to them. One annoying thing I noticed with the telephone program, is that I could not find the digit numbers and this was annoying since I had to make a few phone calls chasing my workshop and like big companies you are first hearing an automated voice message offering you to select various options: option 1 for, option 2 for etc in order to speak with the right dept, so I had to select the options on my phone rather than the phone system in the car… Mercedes have got it spot on with the digit display on the centre console.

Turning the car on: on/off button that was pretty cool, but I do prefer the classic way having to put the key in and out. One annoying thing I would have to say, is that every time you turn the engine on, the control display keeps asking you which ‘profile’ you want to select before going to any other programs. It would annoy me to see this every time you turn the engine on…

Exhausts sound: well, I am sorry to say, it is a big disappointment there, it simply cannot match the E63. Then I realised how much I was missing my E63 badly from that point onward and kept counting the days to have my car back…

Gear box: well, at first, I did like the way it looks and you need to get used to it as there is no ‘P’ mode but Neutral only and you have to pull a button for Parking next to the gear box, which was a bit annoying and not sure why they did this TBH. So I still prefer the gearbox of the E63, which is simply brilliant. The automatic driving was great but if you accidentally touch the gearbox and move it to the right side, it will change from automatic to manual mode and this happened to me by mistake so be aware of this. When stopping during the traffic, I noticed that the car does not hold its position unless you keep holding the foot on the brake of course, but it is not like mine if you press the brake a little harder it will hold its position and you can move your foot off the brake, the BMW does not have it, that is a shame and so if you are in a steep the car can roll back (be aware of this) not good BMW…

How does the car drive like? Well, it grips well on the road and has a different feel to the E63, it certainly feels like it is gripping on the road, which was a great feeling but the weight of this car is a the biggest downside for me: indeed, when you hit the accelerator it did not feel lively enough, the back wheels would spin but you would not feel as much as the E63 due to its heavy weight and so that was a miss IMO.
When driving on the motorway, selecting M1 mode was fantastic, it sounded like the car was a formula one car - sound of the engine through the exhaust was quite sharp and impressive but (yes there is a but) it could still not beat the sound of the E63, which is far more awesome and fun to drive still – sorry BMW.

Fuel economy? Well I was able to do 26-28mpg most of the time, which was great but again, I frankly do not care much as I did not buy my AMG car for fuel economy…

Would I go for the BMW M5 over the E63? Well the answer is no, the M5 is a great car, but it simply cannot match what the E63 does best even though it is a newer car than mine. My car is slightly smaller but is far more agile and more fun to drive. Although the interior of the BMW looks good, I still prefer the interior of the E63 and everything is put together right with buttons in the right place and easy to use.

I was so excited to pick my car back from the workshop and I now love it even more!!! My conclusion I make of this is that sometimes one needs to drive another car to appreciate how fantastic this E63 is, but don’t have an accident to do this!

Attachments

• IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 90
Nice write up, you should apply for Top Gear. :D

Thanks for your kind comments. I am flattered, but as you mentioned Top Gear available job, I genuinely don't think Top Gear is going to on for a long time with Chris Evans - I like this guy, he is very intelligent and great presenter but we have seen this in the past, when he gets burnt down/or if he is bored of it, he quits...

BBC made a terrible mistake losing Jeremy Clarkson IMO... He is still the man for the show. In time BBC is going to regret the sacking and I do think they are already regretting this when BBC licence is being reviewed...

Great review Nico - would you have chopped the E63 in if you had preferred the M5?!

26 to 28 mpg sounds pretty good though, I only used to get 24mpg out of my E39 535i M Sport (also a V8) and I was pretty pleased with that. Out of interest, what does the E63 average on the same kind of routes?

Been checking out the S205 C63 Estate recently...more expensive than the M3...but worth every penny for the sound of that twin turbo charged V8!

Great review Nico - would you have chopped the E63 in if you had preferred the M5?!

26 to 28 mpg sounds pretty good though, I only used to get 24mpg out of my E39 535i M Sport (also a V8) and I was pretty pleased with that. Out of interest, what does the E63 average on the same kind of routes?

Been checking out the S205 C63 Estate recently...more expensive than the M3...but worth every penny for the sound of that twin turbo charged V8!

Thanks James. If I did prefer the M5, not sure what I would have done but I am very pleased to part and owning such a special car made by AMG. I get to truly appreciate more all the hard work and efforts these engineers have done to make such a great car. BMW M5 is a very good car too (don't get me wrong) but once you have tried the AMG it is quite hard to move away from this.

With regards to consumption, like for like driving the E63 in town would give me 16 to 17mpg driving in town if C Mode is selected, but if Sports + is selected then it easily drops to 10mpg (and if you are driving lively, it will drop to 9mpg) - the BMW would give me a more stable and reasonable consumption as mentioned above. but I did not get to try it hard in town (since it was only a rented car - I was driving bit more cautiously as it is also a wider and longer car).
Like for like driving on motorway with the E63, I was able to keep a steady 23.8mpg and driving lively on Sport + Mode only for 80 miles journey, which I thought was very impressive. I would assume the consumption would only improve further if I stick with the C mode - I have yet to try this mode, but to be honest with you it is too difficult not to press the AMG button, temptation with your finger is too intense to ignore, as the sound of this engine, which is shutting 2 valves to give a louder exhaust is too much fun and my god, it is a loud beast!

With the BMW, I notice it could go beyond the 30mpg on the motorway which is very good and obviously beats my car with his better consumption on all level, but it isn't 6.3...

Very Interesting reading the review of a car from someone elses point of view.

I'm lucky enough to have a 12 plateM5 and 12 plate E63 so have had a good bit of time getting to know the cars. Alot of things I agree with and imo the best car would be with the driving characteristics of the E63 in the body of the M5 with all the electrics of the M5 too.

I saw one in traffic the other day - also in Estoril Blue but bigger wheels.

I was impressed with the looks and shape and wondered what it would be like to drive and have as a daily driver.

Interesting review and would strongly push me in favour of the E63...

Great write up, for me it doesn't look mad enough, could just be another high spec 520D.

91dm said:
Great write up, for me it doesn't look mad enough, could just be another high spec 520D.

Same could be said with the E63 though?

Great write up btw, I'm with you on this one, I've never driven the M5 but I do prefer the E63s, anyway.

Thanks guys, I do agree with your recent comments that the BMW does not look mad enough nor the E63 to a degree but ultimately I think this was intentional by both BMW and MB as both of these cars were designed to look discreet like a wolf in clothing sheep...

Good write up and agree with much of what you say.

Can't agree on the gearbox comment though, I've always thought the MCT box is the weakest part of the package in my biturbo and was the same in my c63. By comparison the BMW box was much better for spirited use with faster changes and less likely to pick the wrong gear/refuse a change down.

Good write up and agree with much of what you say.

Can't agree on the gearbox comment though, I've always thought the MCT box is the weakest part of the package in my biturbo and was the same in my c63. By comparison the BMW box was much better for spirited use with faster changes and less likely to pick the wrong gear/refuse a change down.

I did like the gearbox at least the way it looks but also bear in mind that I only got the car for 7 days so it is fair to say that i did not explore the car enough to understand all its potential, which would be the case with the gearbox, which I believe you said is true.

The change of gear mode comment I wrote in my initial thread, was spotted when I rested my hand on the gear box, which sometimes I like doing this (used to drive a manual many years ago)... In all honesty like the E63, its gearbox is fairly sensitive, you could accidentally change the gear from drive to neutral (which happened to me before) if you rest your hand on it...

"Can't agree on the gearbox comment though, I've always thought the MCT box is the weakest part of the package in my biturbo and was the same in my c63. By comparison the BMW box was much better for spirited use with faster changes and less likely to pick the wrong gear/refuse a change down."

Personally the MCT is fantastic in mine and I have no complaints to make. The change of gears is fast and can jump in a few gears down within split seconds giving a lively response with engine noise, awesome in my view...

Did you try the car in M mode?

As per a couple of queries already, I believe that the mercedes gearbox is the biggest weakest link in the Mercs. By comparison the BMW DCT is a total masterpiece. Chalk and cheese.

Did you try the car in M mode?

Yes I did with M1 mode and it was captivating as the car was transformed from efficiency mode. It was when I had a bit of fun on motorway with this setting. Lots of power for sure.

Also I played a bit with the M mode changing gears manually and was impressed with it too, quite sharp, But mainly I drove automatic with Drive mode selecting the M1, as changing of gears was smooth and sharp, which was fun.

The M1 and M2 modes on the steering wheel are basically like the AMG button on the E63, you can set how you want your suspension, steering, and engine and save it to the M1 and M2. Totally different from Manual.

The actual Manual mode where you change gears yourself.

You are right there are loads of settings but once you have comfortable settings you don't need to change it everything.

As above M1 and M2 are entirely user configurable there is no factory standard m1 or m2 so the settings you accessed via the m buttons were whatever somebody else had saved them as before you.

In the GT the box has come on leaps and bounds versus what's in the 63 cars, hopefully in time it will find itself into the next generation of E/CLS.

I still agree with you that on balance I'd rather a 63 than an M5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom