BMW M5 - idiot or ace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oscarisapc

Car
W209 CLK500
One of my recurrent beefs is drivers who use a roundabout to show off their car’s cornering ability. It is normally practised by youths in lightweight hatchbacks accelerating faster than the rest of the traffic and causing others to misjudge the relative speed of oncoming cars. Irritating, but one of those things you get used to. However, I wished I had a dashcam this afternoon. On the link road to the M5 from Bristol there is a dual carriageway at Cribbs Causeway which goes past the main BMW dealer and is terminated at each end by a roundabout. Tearing round the roundabout at speed and with a great deal of noise (tyres and engine) is a BMW M5 with the front passenger leaning out the window. However, the car doesn’t just go round the roundabout and exit, it goes round again, causing traffic to stop as it was impossible to predict what it was going to do next. Eventually, it shot off down the dual carriageway and we all followed, only to find traffic at the next roundabout also stopped with the wretched car again going round in circles. If it was being driven by the owner then it confirms my worst prejudices about BMW owners, but it is much more likely to be a demonstrator being wrung out by a prospect with the salesman wondering whether to jump , or a couple of employees taking a car in for maintenance out for a jolly (not unknown). So, if anyone knows the owner of a blue BMW M5 reg WR13*** and it isn’t the dealer, maybe they should be advised to check the tread remaining on the tyres.

One of my recurrent beefs is drivers who use a roundabout to show off their car’s cornering ability. It is normally practised by youths in lightweight hatchbacks accelerating faster than the rest of the traffic and causing others to misjudge the relative speed of oncoming cars. Irritating, but one of those things you get used to. However, I wished I had a dashcam this afternoon. On the link road to the M5 from Bristol there is a dual carriageway at Cribbs Causeway which goes past the main BMW dealer and is terminated at each end by a roundabout. Tearing round the roundabout at speed and with a great deal of noise (tyres and engine) is a BMW M5 with the front passenger leaning out the window. However, the car doesn’t just go round the roundabout and exit, it goes round again, causing traffic to stop as it was impossible to predict what it was going to do next. Eventually, it shot off down the dual carriageway and we all followed, only to find traffic at the next roundabout also stopped with the wretched car again going round in circles. If it was being driven by the owner then it confirms my worst prejudices about BMW owners, but it is much more likely to be a demonstrator being wrung out by a prospect with the salesman wondering whether to jump , or a couple of employees taking a car in for maintenance out for a jolly (not unknown). So, if anyone knows the owner of a blue BMW M5 reg WR13*** and it isn’t the dealer, maybe they should be advised to check the tread remaining on the tyres.

It was one owner driving like a tool. There was a C63 owner driving like a tool at Manchester's Trafford Centre meet a year ago so much so he binned it in to a lamp post.... does that make all Mercedes drivers dicks then? :rolleyes:

No, but it might confirm people's worst prejudices about C63 owners...

In my experience a tool is a tool - different day, different car, still a tool.

Either I'm very tired or this thread just makes no sense at all.

On the link road to the M5 from Bristol there is a dual carriageway at Cribbs Causeway which goes past the main BMW dealer and is terminated at each end by a roundabout.

I bought a new BMW 335i M Sport convertible from that BMW dealer in June 2013. My test drive in their demonstrator was between those two roundabouts, a total distance of perhaps 1 mile and the salesman speculated it was the shortest test drive he had ever been on. I thought the BMW was O.K. but after 18 months I was happy to see it go. My only regret is that I wish I had bought an E63 sooner.

I bought a new BMW 335i M Sport convertible from that BMW dealer in June 2013. My test drive in their demonstrator was between those two roundabouts, a total distance of perhaps 1 mile and the salesman speculated it was the shortest test drive he had ever been on. I thought the BMW was O.K. but after 18 months I was happy to see it go. My only regret is that I wish I had bought an E63 sooner.

Why did you have such a short test drive?

In fairness I purchased my 335d after driving a 330d as there wasn't a 335d available to drive (Just released for orders). I was somewhat disappointed that it didn't feel quicker I guess.

I didn't get to drive a C63S this time but a C63 however it was noticeably quicker so anything extra from the S on top is a bonus. First test drive at local dealer was a route they picked and not ideal. Plus with someone else next to you I never quite feel happy to fully push it.

JBD on this forum in Norwich got me the car to myself for an afternoon. This allowed me to test it out properly. I checked real world fuel usage under my driving in city and motorway speeds. Handling of the car around some twisty B roads. Traffic light boy racing off the lights speed. Burn out range. Subwoofer loudness with drum and bass music, windows down driving around the city. Weight distribution by jumping the car over a hump back bridge at speed (It's pretty evenly balanced). Oh and before I took it back I had to rob a local bank branch to get the money for the car plus to test it out as a getaway car.

It passed all tests with flying colours so I brought one :)

Why did you have such a short test drive?
My choice rather than the dealer who were keen for me and the (ex) wife to go for an hour or so.

I have owned loads of different types of car and can usually tell pretty quickly whether it will be any good for me or not, and initially it was fine especially when commuting between Bristol and Teesside.

Although the 335i was quick and its driving dynamics were good I later felt that the car lacked soul and was a bit clinical. I initially liked the simplicity of the dash / centre console layout but this was ultimately a part of its downfall, along with its rattling convertible top and alloy wheels that were replaced at four months old due to corrosion.

I had previously owned a 56 plate Jaguar XK 4.2 (X150 - aluminium bodied) that oozed soul and character, even though it was only a base model with no fitted options. The 335i did not stand a chance really, and having owned my E63 for three weeks there is no way I will ever go back to BMW or Jaguar.

Are we taking this thread off topic ?

Last edited:
My choice rather than the dealer who were keen for me and the (ex) wife to go for an hour or so.

I have owned loads of different types of car and can usually tell pretty quickly whether it will be any good for me or not, and initially it was fine especially when commuting between Bristol and Teesside.

Although the 335i was quick and its driving dynamics were good I later felt that the car lacked soul and was a bit clinical. I initially liked the simplicity of the dash / centre console layout but this was ultimately a part of its downfall, along with its rattling convertible top and alloy wheels that were replaced at four months old due to corrosion.

I had previously owned a 56 plate Jaguar XK 4.2 (X150 - aluminium bodied) that oozed soul and character, even though it was only a base model with no fitted options. The 335i did not stand a chance really, and having owned my E63 for three weeks there is no way I will ever go back to BMW or Jaguar.

Are we taking this thread off topic ?

Probably a little but good to get other people's opinions.

I came from a 335d so speed probably similar to 335i. In fairness it's probably the perfect all rounder type of car. It was comfortable, quick, reasonably fuel efficient despite its speed, good build, 4 wheel drive so easy as pie to drive fast, etc, etc.

Only had my C63S a week but the ride is less comfortable (Still comfortable but it's obviously firm), much worse fuel economy but I love it so far. I wanted something faster and the feeling I get from the V8 rumble is that soul you talk about.

As there's nothing quicker than it without going for a bigger car which at the minute I didn't fancy I'll hopefully lose the urge to change for a few years. Got kids so anything 2 door / seats is out of the question. I figure sooner or later we'll end up electric so getting a V8 in before they die off.

It was one owner driving like a tool. There was a C63 owner driving like a tool at Manchester's Trafford Centre meet a year ago so much so he binned it in to a lamp post.... does that make all Mercedes drivers dicks then? :rolleyes:

Yes it does therefore my next target is a BMW,just want to feel what is it like to be one lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom