BMW Magazine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I photographed the front cover of the latest BMW Magazine recently.

Is this how they have to market the brand?

Are the cars short of pulling power?

Or is the Magazine produced by Paul Raymond?

Perhaps a new kind of test drive?

This is on a par with Old Spice, Brut, Hi Karate, Lynx or Denim.

BMW - "The Mark Of A Man?".

BMWMagazine.jpg

The new bmw 5 series gt is really ugly :crazy:

I wouldn't say it's ugly or pretty. It actually looks slightly bland. As if they took a Mondeo and then BMW'ised it.

Sad to say it looks a lot better in terms of detail than the rather messy and slapdash W212.

I heard that a BMW customer focus group came up with the following caption:-

I've got
THE NEW
BMW 5 SERIES
GRAND TURISMO

Now----fancy a quick sh**?

this was later replaced by "Road to Joy" as it wasn't quite the brand image the marketing department was looking for.:doh:

"I wouldn't say it's ugly or pretty."

I'd say ugly, and those wheels are a total turn-off. Every recent and new car seems to be either a blob or a carved/slashed blob, some more elongated than others. I'll stay with my 1990s cars.

I wouldn't say it's ugly or pretty. It actually looks slightly bland. As if they took a Mondeo and then BMW'ised it.

Sad to say it looks a lot better in terms of detail than the rather messy and slapdash W212.

Without a doubt i'd go for the W212, it looks much better in the flesh. This just looks totally wrong.:crazy:

Without a doubt i'd go for the W212, it looks much better in the flesh. This just looks totally wrong.:crazy:

The W212 is a bit of a mess even by US styling standards - depending on colour and angle and dirt it sometimes gets away with it. But not often.

It's not the only victim of overstyling. The Vauxhall Insignia has the same problem. It can look not too bad at times but the more I see on the road - particularly as they accumulate dirt on the side panels the more often it fails.

I was not keen on the 212 when it first appeared.

The more I see it, the more I like it.

It's like fine wine, it improves with age :)

as with any model shape that moves the marque image on further, it will be a bit strange to begin with - then as you see more of them, along with other marques copying the design styles it will become the norm, then the older model will look old fasioned.

as with any model shape that moves the marque image on further, it will be a bit strange to begin with - then as you see more of them, along with other marques copying the design styles it will become the norm, then the older model will look old fasioned.

Or not - sometimes progress isn't progess:

• Ford Scorpio.
  • Chrysler PT Cruiser
  • Maserati Bi-Turbo
  • Austin Allegro Vanden Plas
  • Fort Fiesta IV - pre facelift
  • Renault Avantine
  • Renault Vel Satis
The problem with your statement is that the failures or problematic models tend to be forgotten. So they're harder to remember.

Apart from the Allegro Vanden Plas which is, sadly, very difficult to forget if you ever see one.

Or not - sometimes progress isn't progess:

• Ford Scorpio.
  • Chrysler PT Cruiser
  • Maserati Bi-Turbo
  • Austin Allegro Vanden Plas
  • Fort Fiesta IV - pre facelift
  • Renault Avantine
  • Renault Vel Satis
Not sure about the Renault models in that list, they might challenge ones viewpoint but are quite striking as designs.

You could add the W211 saloon to the list though, it's a bit nondescript and has a fat bum compared to the W210.
At least the W212 has addressed that...shame the interior feels a bit low rent.

ps. Dryce. I do like your pickie of The Wheel.

Without a doubt i'd go for the W212, it looks much better in the flesh.

I didn't know there was a W212 hatchback.

It would appear that BMW designers haven't quite got the hang of styling cars other than 3 box. I would've expected a hatch to be better aero than the saloon, but allas, not. Cd 0.30 for this in 3.0d form.

Last edited:
Going back to the original post I assume this is an example of the "rear entertainment package" on the options list.

Having got the mag through the post I did think that BMW are perhaps losing the plot?

I didn't know there was a W212 hatchback.

It would appear that BMW designers haven't quite got the hang of styling cars other than 3 box. I would've expected a hatch to be better aero than the saloon, but allas, not. Cd 0.30 for this in 3.0d form.

you've also got to appreciate that the 5gt has a large frontal area and in height wise is between a 5 series and X6/X5. Its a half suv type thing. cd 0.30 isnt half bad for an almost SUV type car.

you've also got to appreciate that the 5gt has a large frontal area and in height wise is between a 5 series and X6/X5. Its a half suv type thing. cd 0.30 isnt half bad for an almost SUV type car.

Cd (drag coefficient) and Fa (frontal area) are two different things which combine to give CdA.
A large shape can have a low drag coefficient but a large frontal area. The raised roofline should actually help as it softens the curvature at the top of the windscreen.

BMW don't seem to have the hang of it, for example look at the 2009 7-Series against the W221 S-class.

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is how it should be done.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_T77

Last edited:
Cd (drag coefficient) and Fa (frontal area) are two different things which combine to give CdA.
A large shape can have a low drag coefficient but a large frontal area.

BMW don't seem to have the hang of it, for example look at the 2009 7-Series against the W221 S-class.

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the link, one curious point

The average modern automobile achieves a drag coefficient of between 0.30 and 0.35. SUVs, with their typically boxy shapes and larger frontal area, typically achieve a Cd of 0.35–0.45

The BMW isnt that bad compared to that benchmark really. Just seems a pointless car when the new proper 5 will be released next year.

I'll read the article properly when I get in, on works pc with heaps else on the go and being me multitasking is not an easy thing. :(

Last edited:
The BMW isnt that bad compared to that benchmark really.

Am I missing something? I understood the 5GT to be a 5-series with a hatch, not a 4x4/SUV type vehicle.

When you see what's in the SUV category it's not surprising it a lot lower drag...Land Rover defender, Ford Exploder, Lincoln Navigator...

Am I missing something? I understood the 5GT to be a 5-series with a hatch, not a 4x4/SUV type vehicle.

When you see what's in the SUV category it's not surprising it a lot lower drag...Land Rover defender, Ford Exploder, Lincoln Navigator...

Read the cr4p BMW/other mags spew out....

Its a new niche of vehicle thats a GT with an elevated ride height, taller than a 5 sedan, lower than an X6. Just because the X6 wasnt a car too far....

Pointless really, particularly when we have been deprived of a proper BMW (next gen CSL BMW).

Just looking at the picture, I think it is missing a bottle of Asti and two plastic glasses.

As for the caption...

THE NEW BMW
3 SERIES
GRAN TURISMO

It's the new Austin Maxi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom