BMW & Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
I'll let everyone else comment!

"Arch showroom rivals BMW and Mercedes have reportedly shaken hands on an agreement that will see shared components used in the manufacturer of both brands – and the move could extend to shared engines in the future.

The cost-saving measure has been confirmed to Germany’s Auto Motor & Sport magazine by Klaus Dreager, development head at BMW. The two firms already combine forces to purchase hidden items like air conditioning systems, but both marques are looking for more ways to save extra Euros as the credit crunch hits the automotive industry hard."

(From Pistonheads)

Mike

interesting ....

Just remember when BMW were messing around with aeroplanes Mercedes were building fast racing cars.

Is there any competition

Dave

M-B have borrowed the odd engine in the past .. VW's 2.8 VR6 for the V-Class, at least.

i would think that all cars today are a bit of mix and match, I used to deliver car parts to Ford, VW, Jaguar. Seat and Dahwoo main plants all over Europe and there were many shared parts, I am sure MB engines are in some far eastern cars
Will these new cars be MBMW's

Sounds like a sensible move to me. I'm sure they could share many electronic components without customers seeing any difference.

Sharing a new small car platform has been on, off, on, off, on, off for a while too according to the motoring press. No idea whether it's on or off this morning though. ;)

Like others I think it makes sense to share components between manufacturers. In fact it's happened for years. Gearboxes are quite a fundamental part of a car, and is often supplied to more than one manufacturer.

Does that mean Mercedes may be building a three wheeler?

I'll get my coat:D :D

Back To The Future Powertrains?

Where collaboration will pay off is in the development of future POWERTRAIN technologies probably to compete with the Japanese who seem to have stolen a march on the Europeans with their hybrid drives.:confused: That's just what's on the road now who knows what's still in the development phase.:eek: The Americans are getting in on the act now also with models like the Chevrolet Volt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt and if they are forced to adopt this new technology and forsake their beloved internal combustion engines European manufacturers better watch out.:crazy: Who knows in the future we might end up with cars that are called "Everyready's" or "Varta's" or even Mazda's! Damn----- the Japanese have done it again!;)

I hope mercedes dont borrow their engines... i prefer mercs more reliable engines.

I get the feeling that BMW's engines are really advanced but just too prone to breaking down...

IIRC hybrid technology is one of the areas MB and BMW have collaborated on, and will reach production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom