BMW & Mercedes

Discussion in 'Mercedes News' started by MikeL, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MikeL

MikeL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI
    I'll let everyone else comment!

"Arch showroom rivals BMW and Mercedes have reportedly shaken hands on an agreement that will see shared components used in the manufacturer of both brands – and the move could extend to shared engines in the future.

The cost-saving measure has been confirmed to Germany’s Auto Motor & Sport magazine by Klaus Dreager, development head at BMW. The two firms already combine forces to purchase hidden items like air conditioning systems, but both marques are looking for more ways to save extra Euros as the credit crunch hits the automotive industry hard."

(From Pistonheads)

Mike

2. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    interesting ....

3. Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C Class 220 Evo CDI
    Just remember when BMW were messing around with aeroplanes Mercedes were building fast racing cars.

Is there any competition

Dave

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    M-B have borrowed the odd engine in the past .. VW's 2.8 VR6 for the V-Class, at least.

5. jimti

jimti Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Golf
    i would think that all cars today are a bit of mix and match, I used to deliver car parts to Ford, VW, Jaguar. Seat and Dahwoo main plants all over Europe and there were many shared parts, I am sure MB engines are in some far eastern cars
    Will these new cars be MBMW's

6. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Sounds like a sensible move to me. I'm sure they could share many electronic components without customers seeing any difference.

7. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Sharing a new small car platform has been on, off, on, off, on, off for a while too according to the motoring press. No idea whether it's on or off this morning though. ;)

Like others I think it makes sense to share components between manufacturers. In fact it's happened for years. Gearboxes are quite a fundamental part of a car, and is often supplied to more than one manufacturer.

8. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    Does that mean Mercedes may be building a three wheeler?

I'll get my coat:D :D

9. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Back To The Future Powertrains?

Where collaboration will pay off is in the development of future POWERTRAIN technologies probably to compete with the Japanese who seem to have stolen a march on the Europeans with their hybrid drives.:confused: That's just what's on the road now who knows what's still in the development phase.:eek: The Americans are getting in on the act now also with models like the Chevrolet Volt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt and if they are forced to adopt this new technology and forsake their beloved internal combustion engines European manufacturers better watch out.:crazy: Who knows in the future we might end up with cars that are called "Everyready's" or "Varta's" or even Mazda's! Damn----- the Japanese have done it again!;)

10. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    I hope mercedes dont borrow their engines... i prefer mercs more reliable engines.

I get the feeling that BMW's engines are really advanced but just too prone to breaking down...

11. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    IIRC hybrid technology is one of the areas MB and BMW have collaborated on, and will reach production.

Tags: