BMW scare stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
After the scare stories on BBC's WATCHDOG on owners problems with high mileage BMW engines with the timing gear at the rear of the engine thought I should post this. BBC One - Watchdog, Series 31, Episode 7, BMW deny engine failures are due to manufacturing fault
The ubiquitous Mercedes OM651 4 cylinder diesel also has rear mounted valve timing gear. Part gears and one short chain [ single non duplex !] --No reports of failures-------- yet! Not sure if timing chain/tensioner failure is an engine out job or not? If it is I would expect similar 4 figure repair costs out of warranty to the BMW ones quoted in the programme. Many cars have adopted this engine configuration for a couple of reasons. One--- to lower the engine height , and 2 to keep the engine short for transverse installations such as the new A and B class. Just something to be aware of?

765945_1397254_2560_3580_41._OM651.jpg

After the scare stories on BBC's WATCHDOG on owners problems with high mileage BMW engines with the timing gear at the rear of the engine

On the BMW setup it's a particularly scary problem because it's tied into the gear that is fixed on the crankshaft to drive the chain. Not just an issue of accessibility but the problem involves replacing the crankshaft as well:eek:

Fortunately the Mercedes design makes much more use of gears than the BMW N47 which appears to have 3 chains in their setup PHEW!
BMW_N47_19.jpg

I had an N42 2.0 valvetronic, only covered 71000 miles from new always seviced on the dot with mobil1 and it leaked oil from evey possible place, the timing chain tensioners disintergrated, the o rings perished and in the end it was using oil at a rate of 1 litre every 200 miles. BMW diagnosed the valve stem oil seals had broken up due to my short journeys of 10 miles each way to work and wanted over £2.5 k to strip it down to check, so I p/x it for the Merc No more beamers for me for a long time, I had that car from new and nursed it, polished it for 10 years and thats how it paid me back. I did enjoy driving it though.

In terms of Engine failures (as opposed to overall reliability) the numbers from Warranty Direct show a bit of a trend:

Engine reliability – Top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

01. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)
02. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)
03. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)
04. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)
05. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)
06. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)
07. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)
08. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)
09. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)
10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)

Engine reliability – Bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

01. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)
02. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)
03. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)
04. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)
05. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)
06. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)
07. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)
08. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)
09. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)
10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)

Audi and BMW score worst engine failures rate | Biser3a

I thought Audi and VW were the same engines. Big difference.

I thought Audi and VW were the same engines. Big difference.

Kind of puts the survey into perspective when the figures are so simplified.

I wonder if the ratio of diesels to petrol would show a similar ranking for each of the manufacturers listed. I suspect that most Audis sold are diesels - whereas with VW it will be a smaller proportion.

There are a lot of VW vans out there.....

This is VERY old news. It's been all over Baby Bimmer for years.

The dodgy security is more of an issue - a LOT of cars have gone walkies.
You can break the front glass, reach the OBD2 port and skank a key without tripping the radar alarm.
Slack...

The dodgy security is more of an issue - a LOT of cars have gone walkies.
You can break the front glass, reach the OBD2 port and skank a key without tripping the radar alarm.
Slack...

For those who get in touch with their dealers there have been fixes. Our Z was updated about 8 weeks after the Watchdog programme.

Kind of puts the survey into perspective when the figures are so simplified.

I wonder if the ratio of diesels to petrol would show a similar ranking for each of the manufacturers listed. I suspect that most Audis sold are diesels - whereas with VW it will be a smaller proportion.

The 2.0 Tdi engine was more widely used in Audis then VW and this is an awful engine when it was first released mainly due to balancer shaft issues in the more posh models to quieten down the engine. They didn't use it in models like the golf so the oil pump didn't fail on them as much as A4s etc. The engine also suffers from injector failure and pump failure. Avoid early 2.0ltr Tdi engines like the plague especially in passats, a4, a6, superb etc....

Another aspect of the VW v AUDI argument is that in VW the engines are invariably in a transverse mounting whereas many Audi are in fore and aft configuration. This is possibly going to influence ease of repair/ precautionary maintenance/ heat build up if nothing else?

Skoda and SEAT also use the same engines, don't they?

Good point although Skoda at one time used to run one engine generation behind the latest ones found in VW and AUDI [ time to get the kinks ironed out?] Don't know about SEAT?

As Above Skoda and Seat use all the VAG engines but varying versions.

Engine reliability was the reason I didn't buy a Z3M breadvan a few years ago, valvetronic has always been a problem in one way or another for BMW.

RR

I had few BMW cars in past, nice cars to drive but had a lot expensive problems. I had e46 and e90 chassis.
Last 2006 e90 had evaporator blowing white dust in cabin issue. Was manufacture issue and BMW did not want recognise problem. I been quoted £2500 for repairs as it did involve dashboard removal. In the end after hours of research online and proving that Denso manufactured part is main reason, BMW agreed to cover labour cost £2250 and I had to pay £250 for part. 5 days they had my car in workshop, no curtesy car or apologies for inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

If all the valve gear/chain is put at the back of the engine BMW surely expect it to last the life of the engine ? I would be worried to death if i had one of those engines in my car!

Most M car owners have warranties, big business for BMW

RR

data from 2007

Table showing at what age cars develop the most failures

Mercedes 4
Peugeot 6
Audi 7
Vauxhall 7
Renault 8
BMW 8
Ford 8
Toyota 10