BMW struggle with Electric Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple more piccy's
the engine compartment- the prominent rectangular black charging unit is mounted above the front mounted electric motor.
13-mercedes-benz-b-class-ed-paris-1.jpg

the battery layout

381-750x562.jpg

FROM

Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Photos

Merc are suffering from the break up with the deal from Tesla last year.

All the car manufactures are rushing into this space with rapid drop in battery costs and perceived appetite for electric cars.

It going to be intestine to see if tesla can make mass market cars or Merc/BMW can make electric cars a reasonable cost

Safety data

The latest safety data on electric cars. These videos always make me cringe! :eek:The Tesla S doesn't do too well on the small overlap test. :eek: Unfortunately the Electric Mercedes B CLASS is not tested.*
Two electric cars miss IIHS awards

*euroncap on B class and BMW i3-- Not sure how the additional battery weight and smaller front powerplant in the electric version of the Bclass would influence any result if at all.

Official Mercedes Benz B Class 2011 safety rating results

Official BMW i3 2013 safety rating results

Forgetting the original link is a year old, and that Tesla is an all aboard Ponzi scheme by the best salesman since Preston Tucker, the Bolt is very interesting. RHD not Chevy badges is the problem with U.K. Sales apparently. The Paris show cars were interesting because they were just cars, not "eco cars" the Paris Bolts didn't even have low rolling resistance tyres fitted.

Forgetting the original link is a year old, and that Tesla is an all aboard Ponzi scheme by the best salesman since Preston Tucker, the Bolt is very interesting. RHD not Chevy badges is the problem with U.K. Sales apparently. The Paris show cars were interesting because they were just cars, not "eco cars" the Paris Bolts didn't even have low rolling resistance tyres fitted.

The Bolt seams not destine to be mass market more a statement.

Many post here are old links to the Merc B-Class/Tesla. I thought that Tesla pulled out of the deal and Merc sold there shares

Its interesting that the Bolt is Final assembly is in Detroit while Battery and drivetrain (motor and drive unit) at LG South Korea.

So it an interest combo

One of the problems with bleeding-edge technology is speed of change. So, when designing a new product - particularly one as complex as a car - designers and engineers are pretty much forced to work with current technology, meaning the car contains some degree of obsolete technology on launch

Back in the 1990s, when digital mixing consoles were being developed, one manufacturer (can't remember if it was Sony or SSL) designed the basic concept without knowing what hardware it would use. They could then implement it with the technology & hardware at hand when it was time to build it

Whichever approach you take it must be a fairly fraught process bringing high-tech products to market

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom