BMW Train Derailed in South Carolina, USA

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Wootube is full of US derailment clips. Their rail infrastructure must be in an even worse state than ours.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
It's a start. A hundred and twenty in one hit is a decent effort; how many to go though?

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W205 C250d 4matic
That's about £5 million , what a waste, surely there was another way to get them off with less damage.

Dryce

MB Enthusiast
Car
Wootube is full of US derailment clips. Their rail infrastructure must be in an even worse state than ours.

US rail system is focused on freight.

It's easy to be cynical about the UK but our infrastructure is biased towards passenger use and we actually do a lot better than we realise.

One thing that is noticable about the US is the loading gauge - their trains are physically larger and longer - and on some routes they can double stack containers. Our freight trarins tend to be shorter, lower, and faster - the speed is necessary to fit into the schedules of the passenger services.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
The thing that killed the US railways was the development of cheap US internal airlines. Because the distances were so vast the superior speed of airtravel was destined to doom US rail passenger travel to history or tourist scenic routes. Rail freight survives on transport of material unsuitable for air freight due to bulk or weight.

dinoy

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes of course
copart going to be busy

Oldlae

Car
S204
Mark my words...........BMW will not loose a bean,I am sure my old employer is very well insured.
Besides this, it looks good on the vehicles built statistics, that lot have to be replaced.
Just a pity that the potential owners will have to wait another three months for their new car.
The more BMW built and sold, all the better for my pension!
Tony

Last edited:
OP
OP
markjay

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
That's about £5 million , what a waste, surely there was another way to get them off with less damage.

I am assuming they had to clear the tracks as fast as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom