BMW X3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
The old lady next door has one of these and she most certainly won’t be driving again.

It hasn’t moved for months and the MOT ran out 12 Oct 2020 and the mileage is 79,000. The bodywork appears to be unmarked, it’s got nice big alloys and a leather interior. I’m going to make the son an offer depending on the MOT. It’s a 3 litre.

Does anybody have any real life experiences with this type of car. The reg is LM04HWC.

Cheers.

Is she dead ? sounds a bit ominous :p. Bit more detail on the fate of the old lady please .:banana:
She’s about 120 years old. I’ve never seen her drive the car in the 3 years we’ve been here and her husband died over in India about 16 months ago.

My elderly next door neighbour the same, that's why I now have a very tidy Toyota Yaris as a run around, she just said one day " I don't want to drive anymore.." I pounced and got it for pennies !

My old next door neighbour just happens to be my mother in law. You can't win 'em all.:confused:

I had the 2.5ltr x3 of similar age.

Absolutely hated it.
Did everything it was supposed to.

Just couldn't connect with it, totally lifeless feel, looks and characteristics, put me off BMWs.

I had the 2.5ltr x3 of similar age.

Absolutely hated it.
Did everything it was supposed to.

Just couldn't connect with it, totally lifeless feel, looks and characteristics, put me off BMWs.
I know what you mean but nowadays I’m over all of that malarkey in a day to day runabout. I’ve got my Porsche and Gixxer for when I need to get a stiffy. At my age now, everything has a purpose and a place.

It’s for my wife’s 6 mile daily commute, a bit of shopping and whatever else. I’d be surprised if it did 3500miles a year.

I'm the same, hence why I got the old A8, half the price of what I paid for the X3 and twice the age, rather drive that than my C Class premium +.

I'd never buy another BMW since owning the X3.
I cant fault the car, just hated it, hated driving it, hated looking at it, hated sitting in it 🤣, they are such an awful car.

My sons 05 polo would get dibs over the X3.

I've had stuff from Pandas, to Volvo estates, 63 amg, etc etc, I've never hated any of them, or regretted buying any off them....the X3 was the exception.

But like I said, I couldn't fault it.

I'm the same, hence why I got the old A8, half the price of what I paid for the X3 and twice the age, rather drive that than my C Class premium +.

I'd never buy another BMW since owning the X3.
I cant fault the car, just hated it, hated driving it, hated looking at it, hated sitting in it 🤣, they are such an awful car.

My sons 05 polo would get dibs over the X3.

I've had stuff from Pandas, to Volvo estates, 63 amg, etc etc, I've never hated any of them, or regretted buying any off them....the X3 was the exception.

But like I said, I couldn't fault it.
A buddy had one as a company car in 2003 so I think his would’ve been one of the first.
He said pretty much what you said but as he had a TVR at the time so it didn’t really matter!!

My daughter has a second generation X3 and loves it. I’ve driven it a few times and quite like it. Nothing to hate IMHO.

I thought it would be a good car, a BMW, sensible price, 4x4(good for my towing and bad weather), nice leather interior, good enough spec, what could possibly go wrong?

Not a lot did, It towed, it drove, it had few issues(but don't they all).

I've never had any other type of car that I would never ever buy again, but no matter what the deal was I'd never ever get another X3.

I had to drive a 2010 X3 3.0 auto for work once (i.e. one moderate journey).

Much the same as Cabriomat... the car did nothing wrong but it was just shyte to drive and shyte to look at. It can't decide whether it's an off-roader or a saloon and fails miserably at both.

I'd happily have one as a supermarket trolley or an old beater if I had to but even then I'd probably choose a lot of other cars first if I had the choice.

But as you have clarified, it matters not and for an A to B car, it will do the job. It's not a good choice for a "car person" but for everyone else it's OK.

The ‘sporty’ models might have an unbearably firm ride.

The one I drove was a sport but I don't remember the ride being shyte.

It was a few years ago I drove it now though so I may have long-since pushed that memory from my mind.

Maybe drive it if you can and see what you think.

If it is a 3.0 petrol those engines are sweet and very reliable I believe - 231BHP.

I'm not sure how reliable 3.0 diesels were at that age.

Screenshot_20210405-193521_Photo Editor.jpg

It'll look like this 😁 but without the caravan stuck on the back.
Like I said, it did the job.

Looks like mine was 2.0ltr not 2.5, never had an issue power wise.

The price might make you fall in love with it 😁 If you get a bargain, you can always sell it on if you don't like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom