BMW X3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For A to B work there great , if its a 3.0D they are good for 300,000 miles easy. Not a bad car at the right money!

For A to B work there great , if its a 3.0D they are good for 300,000 miles easy. Not a bad car at the right money!
6 miles a day for work.
Shopping once a week.
Visiting my family in Surrey and Berkshire 4 times a year.
Driving to a cycle sportive 3 times a year.

Approx 3500 miles.

I had an e39 with an m54 engine and I would not describe it as reliable (at least once over 100k and/or 15+ years old)

I love BMWs but the plastics in the engine don’t age well

I did a lot of work on that engine, and they weren’t galvanised back then (similar time scale as MB) so would rust. I don’t know much about older x3s (I have experience with 2015 and 2018 x3s) but the 5 series got aluminium panels and galvanised panels with the E60 in 2004 and the 3 series was similar, so might be worth checking how the x3 fared. It came out in 2003-2004 so you’d hope it wasn’t sharing too much e46 tech!

We had a Grand Cherokee for ten years, it died at 80k miles due to uneconomical gearbox fault - liked the car but build quality non-existent.

switched to X5 around 6 years ago and wished we’d done it years before. Night and day better than the Jeep. We now have the rarer twin turbo 3.0SD, which has cracking performance and economy for a fairly big 4 x 4.

bmw 6 cylinder engines are known for their reliability and longevity. If the x3 is a bargain price I say go for it.

Banned ?? Really....

A week in the cooler.

Fair enough. You could tell he was unstable wanting to get an X3 🤣

I’ve driven 3-series with that engine and it’s creamy smooth and very nice to use. But urban mpg is steep, surely 20mpg tops in the brick-like X3.

my experience with that engine was 274,000 trouble free miles with the engine but at 17 years old the rest of it needed replacing lol but the motor was fantastic. Never failed, never used oil even at that miles. Owned it for 12 years. I also have the 330i 2005 petrol with 115,000 on it. Never had a spanner on the engine.
I had an e39 with an m54 engine and I would not describe it as reliable (at least once over 100k and/or 15+ years old)

I love BMWs but the plastics in the engine don’t age well

I did a lot of work on that engine, and they weren’t galvanised back then (similar time scale as MB) so would rust. I don’t know much about older x3s (I have experience with 2015 and 2018 x3s) but the 5 series got aluminium panels and galvanised panels with the E60 in 2004 and the 3 series was similar, so might be worth checking how the x3 fared. It came out in 2003-2004 so you’d hope it wasn’t sharing too much e46 tech!
As Teddy says, rust was the e46 killer so take care. I`d be looking at springs shocks brake shields discs/calipers(brake judder/wheel wobble) etc because of its age & that stuff adds up. Suspension bushes too but fit powerflex blue which are fit & forget as they will outlast you!

Last edited:
I’ve driven 3-series with that engine and it’s creamy smooth and very nice to use. But urban mpg is steep, surely 20mpg tops in the brick-like X3.

All the earlier 90s 2.5, 2.8 and 3.2 6 cylinder BMWs I had were incredibly smooth.

The only exception was a 1985 525e 2.7 which was shyte car anyway but only cost £400 as an interim car.

I would say you are right about the MPG... not great on those engines and quite a bit worse with an auto I understand (mine were all manuals).

That said, they were worth the outlay for their performance and smoothness if you appreciate your cars!

I just got pinged by WBAC in regards to my enquiry on April 5 last year. I think they valued it at about £1800-1900 and todays estimate is £1350.

It hasn’t moved since last year and the MOT ran out in Oct 2019!!

The son told me last year that him and his wife were going to use it for their expanding family and therefore it wasn’t for sale. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wouldn't worry too much about WBAC valuations.

First issue is do you want it to be Your Motor for a couple of years?

My son loves his 2014 X3, and I know a variety of people who, not being driving enthusiasts, love their earlier X3's

I wouldn't give an SUV house room, but would you? Rather than a......

I'd prefer an S211 any day of the week, but what about you? Do you need an SUV rather than an Estate?

Wouldn't worry too much about WBAC valuations.

First issue is do you want it to be Your Motor for a couple of years?

My son loves his 2014 X3, and I know a variety of people who, not being driving enthusiasts, love their earlier X3's

I wouldn't give an SUV house room, but would you? Rather than a......

I'd prefer an S211 any day of the week, but what about you? Do you need an SUV rather than an Estate?
I’m going to ask him again and see where it goes.

Regarding a choice between an SUV or an estate, I’m not really fussed.
It’s a runabout car and I’ll never call myself a ‘driving enthusiast’. A car to me is a tool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom