BMW's 8 speed gearbox...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

...is dreadful.

Somehow got talked into going to a golf day yesterday (even though I've not swung a bat for ten years) and we went in my friends six month old 320d.

I drove there, he drove back.

Tried it in Eco (?) mode and it was jerky.

Put it in 'Sport' mode and it gave me whiplash with every gear change.

Averaged 58mpg on a sixty mile run through the Pennines though which I was impressed with.

I have told him to take it back to BMW and ask them to look at why it's so jerky, I'll be interested to know if it's a 'characteristic' trait of the car or there is genuinely something wrong.

I have told him to take it back to BMW and ask them to look at why it's so jerky, I'll be interested to know if it's a 'characteristic' trait of the car or there is genuinely something wrong.

I've driven one in a 325i or a 328i, either way it was very smooth, he needs to get that back. .

Probably the way you were holding the gear lever. Try putting your right hand a bit further over the shaft - no I mean stick.........................

Lee

Something definitely wrong there its one of the smoothest auto boxes I've ever driven and my current favourite with the exception of the MB 5 speed. Normally on the BM you cant feel it change gear it's seamless, even in sport where it just extends the revs for the change up point. I've driven it in a few variants 3, 5 and 7 series which is what we have at work if I borrow a car and they have all been smooth as silk 520d and 320d regularly clear 60 mpg

I'd tell him to get it back ASAP something definitely wrong.

My pal, a lifelong petrolhead has this box in his 530d and says it's the finest he's ever had.

I think Ian is right - it needs looking at.

Where's our lighthouse shots?

SPX said:

I have the 8 speed box in my GT and as others have said its extremely smooth or seamless gear changes. They definitely need to have a look at that.

I'll add my comment to the chorus.

The ZF 8 is utterly brilliant. Seriously good. Seamless smooth and quick. Better even than the MB 7G which is also very good.

So there's something wrong with his car.

One thing I did notice was the gear changes; at 20mph I was already in third gear.

BMW dont make an 8speed gearbox.

ZF do.

It is the smoothest gearbox I have used.

I had the 8 speed in my X5 and certainly best I have ever used sounds like something wrong.

As all the comments above - I've got the 8 speed box and it is simply fantastic - changes are imperceptible.

You don't often see this level of agreement on an issue like this - especially concerning a product from the dark side....your friend definitely needs to get his car to a dealer.

Put it in 'Sport' mode and it gave me whiplash with every gear change.

That perfectly describes the SMG gearbox I once felt in a M3. Has your friend perhaps down-badged his car!? :)

That perfectly describes the SMG gearbox I once felt in a M3. Has your friend perhaps down-badged his car!? :)
Those M3 SMG boxes were awful. I've driven many of them and never managed to get the darn things to consistently work smoothly, whether in auto or manual mode. Far too many optional adjustments apart from anything else.

Those M3 SMG boxes were awful. I've driven many of them and never managed to get the darn things to consistently work smoothly, whether in auto or manual mode. Far too many optional adjustments apart from anything else.

I agree totally I love BMW's but trying to drive the ring with that SMG box is a total nightmare and slows you down so much, not one of BMW's finest moments but to be fair it was an ambitious project the first of its kind but I dont think they evaluated it properly first. However they did learn their lesson because the ZF 8 speed auto did about 2 yeas of acceptance testing before BMW put it in a car, thats one of the reasons its so good.

The SMG gearbox is the worse I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

The old fashioned manual box I had in my E90 was much better...;)

A little OT but the best manual I have EVER used is I the Honda S2000.
'Rifle Bolt' is a well deserved metaphor.

I borrowed a pals 320D recently for a Ride Drive day, we shared his car.
Very smooth.

The new ZF 8 speed is sensational and probably the best auto box for sale right now.

I'm with M1BR on the S2000's being e finest ever manual box though, well once warm as 1st and 2nd were awkward when cold.

Forgot to update this thread and test driving an F10 M5 today reminded me to...

There was a leak somewhere on the gearbox and the fluid was low, hence the jerkiness, all sorted now though and my friend is amazed at how much smoother the 'box is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom