body repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoros

Car
SL55 AMG
Had the rear offside trailing wheel arch rust bubbles removed in August 2015 by a so called word of mouth panel expert (who does police cars). What was forecast as a week long repair turned out to be 3 weeks. He made excuses but it was obvious he was busy.
I now find the rust has returned with a vengeance and this is after the car being garaged during the winter in October 2015 and back on the road in April 2016.
I am seriously unimpressed. Found the invoice but no mention of any warranty period.
Before I tackle them - do I have any grounds for complaining other than them not doing a thorough job in the first place?
Failing them having a guilt trip and offering to repair it again (do I really want to go back to them?), can anyone recommend a good panel repair expert within reasonable distance of Chester and the wirral please?

Auto restore are good. They offer lifetime warranty on all jobs and come to your driveway to do the work. Also a big company to complain if need be

Unless they cut out the rust complete and replaced it with fresh metal it will always come back at some point. I considered having the rust done on the front wings of my 129 but when I spoke to the guy at the body shop he said I'd only be back in 6 months to a year and it was better to replace the wings. He didn't make any money out of saying so, it was less work for him replacing them than rubbing down the existing ones, trying to treat them and spraying them.
I think you'll be doing them again unless you find a good bodyshop who are prepared to cut do it properly and I seriously doubt a company will give a lifetime warranty on a rust repair.

^^ This.

Some will say no, you can cure it. But, like the OP, I have had rust in my 124 treated & painted, by an 'expert'. It returned within 18 months and the total cost then to repair was larger than if I had just gone for new metal to start with.

What sometimes gets forgotten is the 'source' of the problem needs detecting and eradicating (where possible). If it's a leaky seal or a blocked drain, or a just where you park the car. Try and improve upon it or remove it completely, or the rust will definately return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom