Bodywork and wheel resto price.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoTu5

Car
1976 Trans Am, 1973 Mach 1 Mustang & 2007 Mercedes SL350
Earlier in the week I took my car along to the bodyshop that I normally use. I need some bodywork tidying; Bonnet has some scratches and small dinks, small dent on lower drivers wing and small dent in rear panel. Plus all four wheels are going to be taken off and restored. I recieved a quote of £450 to do all the work with the largest job the bonnet, which will more or less need the whole front end sprayed to blend in the new paint. I thought this was a reasonable price, what do you people think ?

Earlier in the week I took my car along to the bodyshop that I normally use. I need some bodywork tidying; Bonnet has some scratches and small dinks, small dent on lower drivers wing and small dent in rear panel. Plus all four wheels are going to be taken off and restored. I recieved a quote of £450 to do all the work with the largest job the bonnet, which will more or less need the whole front end sprayed to blend in the new paint. I thought this was a reasonable price, what do you people think ?

sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Sounds good given the various jobs.

As long as the quality is good then go for it.

Maybe try £350 cash and meet at £400 :)

Thanks, confirms what I thought. It's a long established paint shop that handles a lot of insurance work including working on prestige cars, restos etc. The car will be in for three days next week and should see all exterior cosmetics brought up to scratch, no pun intended.

It would be nice to see some before and after pictures if you are able to post them.

Sounds good to me purely on the basis that I asked for a quote for just a refurb of my wheels and it was £280+Vat for that alone!. Id love to see b4 & afters as well!.

Considering the wheel refurb is porbably a £200+ job in most parts of the South, I'd say it's a great price.
Offering £350 is plain rude.

Can you give me contact details for the paintshop you're using please?

Thanks

OK, dropped the car off this morning and had a brief chat about the work in hand. I also pointed out a couple of other bits :D and he said he would look at them too. Also mentioned that I belong to a Mercedes forum and we will be casting our critical eyes over the work, as in before and after, and he thought that was a good idea.

I have been using the bodyshop since the 80's, they once carried out a full body respray on a 1971 Mach1 Mustang for me to a good standard. I've since had various small tidying jobs on other cars done aswell as other owners cars I've recommended them too. All without any complaint.

I was shown some wheels they had restored and explained the process of - repair work - stripping - painting - baking. I've got some pics which I will download later of the before, now to just sit and wait till Friday, when the car will be ready.

14 years of corrosion and wheel rash had taken their toll on the front wheels.

2003_0101C200before0001.jpg

2003_0101C200before0004.jpg

There are 8 small dinks like this in the bonnet, I didn't mind replacing the bonnet but the bodyshop are confident I didn't need one.

2003_0101C200before0008.jpg

Drivers side lower wing knock.

2003_0101C200before0006.jpg

There are other areas but with the sun on the bodywork, the glare hid the dents.

Last edited:
. Also mentioned that I belong to a Mercedes forum and we will be casting our critical eyes over the work, as in before and after, and he thought that was a good idea.

"and he thought that was a good idea" - did he say that gritting his teeth? :D

That sounds seriously underpriced to me to be honest, , its £30 a wheel round here just for a polish let alone the other bits, probably cost 350 quid just to repair that dent in the wing!

"and he thought that was a good idea" - did he say that gritting his teeth? :D

Now you come to mention it :D

No, he's alright, we've known each other for years and I didn't spot any awkwardness in his reply.

Picked up the car this afternoon and on first inspection It looks great, very pleased with how the wheels have come up and the bonnet looks excellent. As soon as I can I'll post some pics of the work.

Dents in bonnet, front wing and 4 wheels for £450 = bargain:D

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom