Bodywork warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyP2468

Car
A class
Hi,

Right, I got a new c class. On arrival, it had a stone chip as transport damage. They acknowledged this and said ‘we will put this on our chips away account’. So, I got the work done but a few hours later, with the stone chip gone, I noticed that about half a foot away was thick, orange peeled paint.
I thought that this was too far away from the chip repair area. So because of this, I called up Mercedes Exeter (where my car was from, 200 miles away) complaining that this must be factory defect or that somewhere along the way there is been a smart repair.
In order to inspect and repair this, it has to go back to Exeter (from Manchester) in order to investigate because it is part of the Exeter fleet of cars.
However, now that my car is to go all the way to Exeter, I actually think that it’s overspray from the chips away repair.... Do I tell Mercedes and request that chips away pay for a repair at Mercedes body shop? Or will Mercedes say ‘it’s chips always fault and their problem’? Even though the repair was on their account and advisement....? My problem is that I don’t want 400 miles to be put on my vehicle....but I don’t want chips away to carry out another repair themselves due to their quality of work.

Sorry for the long thread but would really appreciate opinions.

Thanks!

Can you not take the car into a local dealer as I thought that the warranty applies across all of MB

Took it to Mercedes near me.
They said that they can’t touch it under warranty because it’s had paint.
Yeah, it’s had paint, but around half a foot away....however, they didn’t know chips away had touched it at merc Manchester. It’s what I’d think to be outside the ‘spray zone’ of the smart repair, but it’s had paint.

My guess would be it was like that from the factory. Mercedes is not known for its quality paintwork.

My car has 'orange peel' all over various panels if you look closely.

Pretty shoddy I think for a premium product.

Well if I’m honest, my car is almost completely orange peel, so is my dads new e class. But this section is completely flat.
You really would think that chips away have decided to spray a much larger section than required for some reason and done a crappy polishing up job.

So catch 22:
Stick to the plan and accept 400 miles on the car but have the work done by merc.

OR

Try to get Mercedes to take it up with chips away and request for Mercedes work to be paid by chips away....?

HOWEVER

Would it be possible for Mercedes to turn around and say ‘not our problem because chips away did the work’ (even though they reccomeded chips away, and it’s on their account)?
And similarly for chips away to say ‘that’s our standard so like it or lump it’, resulting in me having to pay for a new spray job.

Interesting - I've had umpteen new Mercedes over the years, just had my 3 year old e63 amg go back off lease. took delivery today of a pre-gregisterd gle 43 amg Night Edition in Black, also from from MB Exeter fleet and the whole car has the orange peel effect. reported it straight away and was advised by Exeter to go to my local MB ( Whitefield Manchester) and have them do an initial assessment . I've never had this befoer and am disappointed to say the least. I'l update here as to how I get on. My last car was from Exeter as well and it was obsidan black & flawless. So sorry teh car had to go back. they (mbfs) wouldn't extend the lease beyond the three years

I had a reply back from the dealer basically saying they are all like this - well gle's anyway it would seem. he apparently checked out 4 other stock cars . How standards are a slipping eh?

My local bodyshop/painters/restorers of premium cars reckons MB are way behind French and Japanese manufacturers in paint quality.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom