Boing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Parked on the kerb on Friday night. Pulled away and gently dropped down on to the road. I did feel and hear something but with a car full of chattering Ringways, thought I'd look at it in the morning. :eek:

Looks like I need a pair of front springs for my 124 230 TE. I'm guessing the springs are around £50 each. Should I fit genuine MB or one of the alternative makes?

There's five bananas for the first person to get the obvious pun relating to the picture below.

BrokenSpring.jpg

Looking at the end of the spring, it wouldn't surprise me to find that this wasn't the first time this spring had snapped.

However, it is best to fit MB springs, as they will be better tailored to the mass of your individual car. MB springs are graded using a points sytem based upon the engine / options fitted, while aftermarket springs use one part number to span a much wider range of vehicles.

Parked on the kerb on Friday night. Pulled away and gently dropped down on to the road. I did feel and hear something but with a car full of chattering Ringways, thought I'd look at it in the morning. :eek:

Looks like I need a pair of front springs for my 124 230 TE. I'm guessing the springs are around £50 each. Should I fit genuine MB or one of the alternative makes?

There's five bananas for the first person to get the obvious pun relating to the picture below.

BrokenSpring.jpg

SpringWatch.

Looking at the end of the spring, it wouldn't surprise me to find that this wasn't the first time this spring had snapped.

However, it is best to fit MB springs, as they will be better tailored to the mass of your individual car. MB springs are graded using a points sytem based upon the engine / options fitted, while aftermarket springs use one part number to span a much wider range of vehicles.

Thanks very much for the information, Numbercruncher.

The Eurocarparts ones used to made by LESJOFORS/KME [german] but now they seem to supply SACHS :thumb: or Anschler [????:confused:] They tend to offer normal or heavy duty alternatives only. My KME's on the back have been fine but I opted for MB for the front where its more critical to get the rating right IMHO ECP run about 50% MB cost

There have been threads about ECP springs sagging in a short time, occasionally as short as days.

Best to fit MB springs. Whilst at it check the bottom ball joints as they do fail on W124 with catastrophic results, unlike on a W210 which can't.

Using my reg of my 95 124 Saloon (Diesel Engine)
4 brands of springs show up from ECP. Price Range is £27.54 to £36.60 each.

Not sure on Merc prices.

Seems to be a common problem-including A class-best get merc originals -they seem to be colour coded to each type of car-A210 has a stiffer setup compared to other a classes

As yiou may recall, I recently had a front spring go on my SLK, but had both sides replaced. MB charged £52.00 (ex VAT) each for them, although the total job came to well over £400 including labour.

There have been threads about ECP springs sagging in a short time, occasionally as short as days.

Never seen any threads about that. Perhaps you could provide a link? I would wager that Sachs for example would have similar quality and longevity to MB [ which aren't that great based on their recent record either ] Like you though I would stay clear of unfamiliar named brands on principle . I would concur that MB normally offer a broader range of spring ratings [ calculated on their points system] but have to wonder if they aren't moving towards a ONE SIZE FITS ALL situation with their much older models.:dk:

PS I should add that we are fortunate that MB are prepared to still offer an excellent spare system for models which are greater than 15 years old. One of the many hidden attractions of the marque.:thumb:

Last edited:
Never seen any threads about that. Perhaps you could provide a link?

I can't see one immediately, but remember Ady the Architect having this very problem in very short order. Others have reported it too.

Got to ask. Why is that spring so rusty? - is this normal? (I think not)

20 year old car - it may be in the autumn (leaves?) of its life.

Re the springs, MB every time unless you want to play with 'performance', lowered springs all round.

And, 'yes, yes' to the chap who mentioned the MB points system for springs - very important if you want it right forst time and the cost penalty isn't great, if anything.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom