Bolts for ET35 alloys for w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Has anyone got any idea of the correct length of bolts for these wheels..

Andy, i still haven't got round to measuring the existing (wrong) ones yet ..... sorry :eek: will do it tomorrow promise !!

And, the next question, does anyone have 10 of these they would like to sell (bolts not wheels !! )

should look like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10398&item=4535483096&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

cheers for the help in advance ....

H

Last edited:
my wheel bolts are 40mm which I'm pretty sure think is the standard size for MB alloys so the dealer will be able to supply them (about £3 each if i remember correctly). I bought mine secondhand off [email protected] and they cost me a quid each so it may be worth dropping either him or Ricky a line.

Andy

Andy , do yours have the long shank like in the linky above ?

I think that is what i need , i dont reckon a 40 mm bolt would even go through the wheel ......

Have spoken with Ricky, just waiting for a reply ....

but i could be wrong ..... probably !! :rolleyes:

Silly question Howard - but what bolts did Graham use when he had these on his W202? If they were the same as the ordinary ones (most likely!) then your current wheels must be the odd ones out?

I don't think the offset is the last word on what wheel bolts you need/use - I thought that the wheels were drilled to suit. Ie, the wheel bolts will stick out more or less depending on how deep the wheel/offset is? The amount of thread that protrudes through should be similar I would have thought?

I have never needed different wheel bolts in all the sets of MB alloys I have ever used (several!). Perhaps the ones that you have on your car at the moment are obscure?

So, to cut a long story short - the bolts you probably need are most likely the standard alloy wheel bolts for that type of wheel, which should be the same as most other MB alloy wheel bolts. :)

HTH,

Will

yes Howard. they look just like the wheel bolts I have. Originally (my wheels are from a 129) they would have been the bolts with an extended shank but MB don't supply them anymore (well according to my dealership) as they have been known to snap.

AFAIK there are only two standard bolt lengths for MB wheels but we covered that in your other thread. :)

Andy

Andy - you're right. The extended shank bolts are discontinued and the R129 now uses the M12x1.5x40R12 bolt used for all alloy wheels fitted to C/CLK/SLK/W210. They actually measure 38mm from end to shoulder.
B66470133 MB RRP £1.93 each inc VAT

andy_k said:
yes Howard. they look just like the wheel bolts I have. Originally (my wheels are from a 129) they would have been the bolts with an extended shank but MB don't supply them anymore (well according to my dealership) as they have been known to snap.

AFAIK there are only two standard bolt lengths for MB wheels but we covered that in your other thread. :)

Andy

Any ideas why the extended shank bolts were discontinued? Does this mean that the new bolts don't sit flush with the surface of the wheel?

As Andy indicated, there were instances where they snapped. Most probably compressed air wrenches again, otherwise they would never have been given TuV approval.
What is the desire to have them flush to the surface? I have heard this a few times. I think it makes the wheels look complicated.

Murray Systems said:
Andy - you're right. The extended shank bolts are discontinued and the R129 now uses the M12x1.5x40R12 bolt used for all alloy wheels fitted to C/CLK/SLK/W210. They actually measure 38mm from end to shoulder.
B66470133 MB RRP £1.93 each inc VAT

mine of useless information me :D

however......

You can still get these extended shank bolts but you will need somebody that sells parts from Grayston Engineering as they will only deal with trade customers.

Andy

Last edited:
Murray Systems said:
What is the desire to have them flush to the surface? I have heard this a few times. I think it makes the wheels look complicated.

My reasons are two fold, I like the clean look of flush surface bolts and secondly I remember when I was younger than that the dodgy replicas always had recessed bolts and so looked naff and thus in my eyes recessed bolts make the wheels look non original.

andy_k said:
mine of useless information me :D

however......

You can still get these extended shank bolts but you will need somebody that sells parts from Grayston Engineering as they will only deal with trade customers.

Andy
Hmm - just up the road from me. Better remember that one - and could be useful for Howard?

Cheers, :)

Will

it's just possible I still have an account with Grayston - I last used it a couple of years back when I bought some spring assisters but if there's any interest in a group buy of these bolts then I'm happy to make enquiries, otherwise I'm sure Chris can supply them.

Personally I wouldn't want them on my car due the possibiity they may just snap. I have the recessed bolts and think they look fine - anyway your locking bolt would have to be recessed, I don't think anybody makes an extended one of those :)

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom