Bond investments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Invest in pork bellies :D

On a more serious note, figure out which seaside towns have the fastest growing property prices and buy a string of holiday cottages. No, it's not Easington Colliery :D

Invest in pork bellies :D

On a more serious note, figure out which seaside towns have the fastest growing property prices and buy a string of holiday cottages. No, it's not Easington Colliery :D

You still have to buy at the right time and price as the prices may have peaked.

A relative has recommended St. James Place to me. He is very happy with the growth they have achieved for him. He & his wife both have fat pensions and are investing to provide for their adult children & grandchildren
Sounds as if, like me, you've made yourself an Excel workbook for tracking purposes!
Yes:thumb:

It depends whether income or growth is sought.

For me it would be income, but growth would be a bonus to help with future inflation.

For me it would be income, but growth would be a bonus to help with future inflation.
Holiday lets can be more profitable than traditional buy to let albeit with more hassle and cleaning/maintenance expense.

Growth is more difficult to predict as will be based on house prices in your chosen area, realising the growth even more difficult due to it's illiquid nature.

I guess that your decision will depend on how involved you wish to be in your investment.

Holiday lets can be more profitable than traditional buy to let albeit with more hassle and cleaning/maintenance expense.
SDLT is quite punitive on purchases and then there is Capital Gains Tax on sales profit.
But, that is an option. I could potentially buy the land, build the units, then manage them in retirement.

A relative has recommended St. James Place to me. He is very happy with the growth they have achieved for him. He & his wife both have fat pensions and are investing to provide for their adult children & grandchildren

Yes:thumb:

I’d go to a local Independent Financial Adviser (IFA), and consider the value of his charges, not the cost. As has been said before, the way IFAs get remunerated is now very closely controlled, so performance related isn’t that easy to 'justify' to their regulators. Blame the few bad apples, as usual. Baby/bathwater, IMO

SDLT is quite punitive on purchases and then there is Capital Gains Tax on sales profit.
But, that is an option. I could potentially buy the land, build the units, then manage them in retirement.
Yes.

No, it was James O'Neill in Chichester, he retired in 2012.

Site here. But approved buildings far too small in my opinion, and not enough of them to make the site viable at that price.
I'd be a bit windy about those trendy pod type units, when the time comes to sell they would not be mortgageable, are there residency constraints in place such as March to December only.

If I'm honest I would prefer a more traditional approach. I know people who are doing well out of 6 or so seaside cottages, the Summer rents are strong money but the hassle can be considerable. Cleaning and maintenance is done on handover day, typically saturday which is not ideal for finding staff who want weekends off. Some of the guests can be a bit demanding but £1000 a week in high season is welcome.

Quarter of a million for 2 landing pads? Add on price of cabins themselves, and then work out why people would want to try and get to the middle of nowhere to rent them (or indeed service them between lets). Location is everything. I went the fewer, better located, route with my property portfolio. Overlooking Essex yacht club for one, and private park in yuppie-ville Cheshire town for the other. Touch wood, neither have been empty for more than a month since I've owned them. Plus they are easy to get to for maintenance etc. I always apply 'other person's eyes' mode and ask myself what I would want/look for if it were me hoping to rent something out. Seems to work. I blame the daft programmes on telly where people are seen to buy something at auction for thruppence, chuck an ex demo B&Q bathroom in it, new boiler, double glazing and new kitchen for 5k all-in (yeah right; quality gear that), then allegedly let it out for 10%!

My pot would probably only stretch to 1 cottage in a desirable seaside town near here or 2 in a less desirable seaside town.
Don’t know that the returns would be worth the outlay.

Piff, are you talking outright purchase or BTL mortgage? A good few years ago a friend in Southampton got fed up with the crap returns on the stock market and moved into rental, starting with a terraced student let that I helped convert from 3 bed to 4. He's subsequently moved on to more upmarket letting properties, all in Southampton where he's based, mainly now upmarket, secure parking, close to town centre and station for young professionals, and I believe all with BTL mortgages. Seems to get a good return even though he uses an agent for much of the stuff as he is often not in Southampton!

Piff, are you talking outright purchase or BTL mortgage? A good few years ago a friend in Southampton got fed up with the crap returns on the stock market and moved into rental, starting with a terraced student let that I helped convert from 3 bed to 4. He's subsequently moved on to more upmarket letting properties, all in Southampton where he's based, mainly now upmarket, secure parking, close to town centre and station for young professionals, and I believe all with BTL mortgages. Seems to get a good return even though he uses an agent for much of the stuff as he is often not in Southampton!
I'm not one for taking on debt, particularly approaching retirement.
Perhaps if I had taken on more debt 20 or 30 years ago I'd be a wealthier person now:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom