Bonding Plastic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Just bought myself a 2nd hand (but virtually brand new!) C63 rear diffuser which I plan to fit onto my W209.

The quad tail pipes on a W209 are about 2cm closer to the centre of the car than on the W204 so I need to cut out some sections of it.

What do the panel recommend I use to bond the sections together after I have butchered them? what do they use in the trade?

The plastic is: PP/EPDM

Cheers!

You can weld plastic using a soldering iron, works great on motorcycle plastics, should be just as good on car plastics.

Yes i agree soldering iron with a special tip.

Try tiger seal it's a pu adhesive many body shops use it for body kits and it is very strong

Hi,
Be warned certain plastics can't be plastic welded as the plastic just melts and rolls back on itself, not sure what name of the plastic it is though.

would fully support the use of Tiger Seal - amaxing stuff as long as it has a good contact area. Takes a while to dry.

I wouldnt use epoxy glues for this as they tend to have no flex in them one dry and this causes cracking upon use.

Tiger bond remains slightly flexible but be careful when applying as any overspill will harden also and cant be removed once dry.

Thing is, the OP says the plastic in question is EPDM. There is very little that will successfully adhere to EPDM for any length of time other than the correct epoxy. Been there....tried that!

Tiger seal will stick it no problem ,no ? About it ,if you hav time to let it set and clamps etc to hold it in place for at least 24 hrs then tiger seal would do the job fine it's only when trying to weld plastic the type of plastic becomes important so you can get the correct type of rod to match the plastic

If you want to be extra sure it will hold use windscreen primer on surfaces before tiger seal but it won't be necessary,soldering iron won't wrk in this case and most 2k adhesives will require a special gun and nozzles to use them which will be expensive if you only need them for 1 job

Just take it a bodyshop , no doubt they'll do it for cash and get it done properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom