Bonnet Badge Move!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
My A220d had a Bonnet Badge, my C250d had a Bonnet Badge and my E220d has a Bonnet Badge, but I have just started to notice that on most Models the Bonnet Badge has moved forward to the Front Valance above the Radiator! :oops:

When did this happen? Was it a Design Change or just Cosmetic Choice?

Due to pedestrian safety regs, on many new cars the bonnet doesn't extend to the front of the car. Instead the radiator area extends backwards. If the badge was stuck on the bonnet it would look very odd as it would be a long way from the front of the car!
Mercedes-CLS-2018-amg-UK-price-specs-891204.jpg

It does lead to some very awkward panel gaps though, especially on lighter colours. The last 3 series was especially bad. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it!
s-l800.jpg

Due to pedestrian safety regs, on many new cars the bonnet doesn't extend to the front of the car. Instead the radiator area extends backwards. If the badge was stuck on the bonnet it would look very odd as it would be a long way from the front of the car!
Mercedes-CLS-2018-amg-UK-price-specs-891204.jpg

It does lead to some very awkward panel gaps though, especially on lighter colours. The last 3 series was especially bad. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it!
s-l800.jpg

I don't see the connection regarding Pedestrian Safety Regs, (sorry):oops:

The Space for a Badge on my E220d is Larger/Deeper than the one depicted, but the Badge is on the Bonnet! :rolleyes:

If the Badge was on the Valance/Panel covering the Radiator and I decided to opt for the the "Star" Badge (as I have seen other have done) It would look too out of place in the Forward Position! :eek:

I don't see the connection regarding Pedestrian Safety Regs, (sorry):oops:

Would you rather be hit by a curved deformable panel, or the leading edge of a bonnet? :D

Did you know there also has to be a minimum gap between the bonnet and the top of the engine? This is in case a pedestrian ends up on your bonnet. The bonnet has room to deflect before hitting the (hard and immovable) top of the engine. This is why the front ends of cars, especially front wheel drive ones, have become more bulbous.

Did you know there also has to be a minimum gap between the bonnet and the top of the engine? This is in case a pedestrian ends up on your bonnet. The bonnet has room to deflect before hitting the (hard and immovable) top of the engine. This is why the front ends of cars, especially front wheel drive ones, have become more bulbous.

Some cars have a mechanism to raise the bonnet on impact (instead?). I remember reading that the cost of replacing this was potentially writing some cars off after a relatively minor frontal impact.

Some cars have a mechanism to raise the bonnet on impact (instead?). I remember reading that the cost of replacing this was potentially writing some cars off after a relatively minor frontal impact.

That may be the difference between my A220, C250 and E220 and the New Design with the Badge on the Front Panel, they all have the Bonnet Raise On Impact Mechanism (forget what it is called) The Later Models maybe don't, hence the Badge Relocation! :D

Would you rather be hit by a curved deformable panel, or the leading edge of a bonnet? :D

I can see what you are saying, but, if the Badge is moved Forward onto the Area that is deemed to be the First Point of Contact with any Unlucky Pedestrian :eek:, wont the fact that the Badge is now PART of the First Point of Contact going to cause more Damage?. IE the Badge will Dig In? :dk::doh:

Interestingly the ACTIVE BONNET for pedestrian safety is actually focussed slightly further back. Which makes sense with the dynamics of a typical post collision adult "Jacknife" position over the bonnet and their head impacting further back towards the windscreen. The repositioning on the badge to a deformable front moulding is almost certainly part of pedestrian safety features of the car.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does anyone know why the Badge was relocated? :rolleyes::dk:

probably cost - it is cheaper to mould the recess in the plastic front panel than the steel bonnet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom