Bonnet change? w124 320Ce cab 1993

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lplplp

Car
sl55
Just bought a 2 owner 320CE Cab. The first owner got the main dealer to fit a 500SL bonnet before delivery. Looks good, but about to chuck a chunk of cash on refurbing it. Eg full Repaint etc. Would you refit the original bonnet & grill or leave it as it was delivered? Intention is to enjoy for the summer & then move it on.

Well it depends on what your target buyer is in the future,I would have thought the original bonnet would be the way to go

Reactions: 219
The SL look was popular with 190 [ W201] owners back then- for folks unfamiliar----?
Mercedes%20W201%20SEC%20Bonnet%20x2%20View.jpg

I would go original but its a matter of personal choice and cost- some people like car that looks individual -others find it jars their sensibilities.
post up a picture?

I’m all for individual quirks but the wrong bonnet is more Cheryl Cole’s tatts than cindy Crawfords mole. A self inflicted wound.

If the plan is to sell, it’s going to put off more buyers than it will attract. There’s always one though! ;)

Last edited:
Def one to ponder as am about to respray! Good pics Grober - sums the problem up perfectly

The wheels are du chetelet but going to change those back. The bonnet is a real 50/50

Attachments

• D6547B8A-3DD0-4FC7-BF84-BF53B4B5B151.jpeg
    D6547B8A-3DD0-4FC7-BF84-BF53B4B5B151.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Despite being a nice professional job not my cup of tea sorry. Perhaps another way to judge demand would be to offer the conversion bonnet for sale before deciding to re-enstate the original factory design or not?

The SL/SEC bonnet is popular here in France on coupés. Not my choice but each to their own.

Perhaps, if you wish to save outlay, leave as is and test the market when you want to sell. You might get lucky. If not, find an original.

R

French style gives me a bit more confidence! At least there is some precedent for the modification. A gutsy or foolish move by the first owner when he did it. It’s in for paint now, will be just my luck to have to scour the scrap yards for another bonnet & grill once it’s finished.

Loads on eBay, you shouldn’t need to even splash out £100. They are all the same except for the pre & post facelift difference.

Just bought a 2 owner 320CE Cab. The first owner got the main dealer to fit a 500SL bonnet before delivery. Looks good, but about to chuck a chunk of cash on refurbing it. Eg full Repaint etc. Would you refit the original bonnet & grill or leave it as it was delivered? Intention is to enjoy for the summer & then move it on.
I would put it back to standard spec ; do bear in mind you're best sourcing a standard W124 donor car as the 'SEC Look' front ends involved fitting different headlamps ( the wider grille would have covered up the standard fog lamps ) .

There are plenty of W124s breaking on eBay from which you should be able to source the bits you need ; a used bonnet will be fine since you're painting the car anyway .

Why not then hedge your bets and keep the current bits to include with the car in case the next owner wants them ? If it is a no , then you can always punt them on eBay .

The wheels are du chetelet but going to change those back. The bonnet is a real 50/50
Yep , that's not even an 'SEC Look' bonnet , it does look like a R129 bonnet stuck on over the original lights ; to my eyes does not look right at all . No offence intended .

You will probably get a few bob for the Carat Duchatalet wheels as they are , if genuine , quite sought after .

I'd go for MB 8 hole Alloys for that car , standard ones were 15" , but R129s and W140s came with 16" versions of these wheels .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom