Bonnet Heat Shield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mertz33

Car
CLK280 Coupé
Got a CLK280 from 2007 and noticed 2-3 clips holding the heat shield are missing but also the shield itself shrunk? it's not aligned to those clip holes anymore and I couldn't even bring it closer to install new clips, it won't stretch.

Any idea how to fix this/find a replacement ( I imagine buying a used one will have the same issue due to age etc?)

Has enyone tried those 1x1.4M Aluminum Foil Heat Shield Sound Insulation Car Hood Noise Control Mat Pad 7703636433176 | eBay
I'm not sure how well it would work given that the adhesive might only last for a short while?

Cheers

I have the same on my car, be interested to see what other have done... if anything.

Have you tried your local dealer might not be as bad as you think.

Have you a photo of how it looks under the bonnet ?

It's really not that bad, this is how far it's misaligned
IMG_20200202_141341 (HD).jpg

I'm more curious if anyone tried the aftermarket one I posted earlier - would it be worse than leaving the old one as is?

I think the aluminium-lined one might look quite neat but I'm concerned about the adhesive and the foam (don't think this has heat resistance, just the foil has?)..

It is a sound deadening panel , can be purchased from the dealer , along with the proper contact adhesive as used in the factory.

Pic of my car, the holes are quite a way out, I cannot see a new one lasting too long, the engine does generate a lot of heat. Needs a clean too !
F4F6DE22-4621-40C4-BE1E-51E52056F18C.jpeg

As above they should be available from MB - I got a new one for my 1997 R129 a few years back.

Reactions: 219
I've got just their Silent Coat panel damping on another car .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes adhesive is excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom