Bonnet hinges and engine bay access

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
One of nice design touches on the CE (and other MBs) is the ability to open the bonnet fully vertical to get access to stuff at the back. The only cars which offered better access are the ones where the whole nose of the car hinges forward (Triumph Herald, and no doubt some more illustrious examples).

I noticed what looked like a BMW at the side of the road recently and it had the bonnet hinged from the front - what are the advantages of this arrangement if any as it would seem to restrict access to the bits at the front of the car..

Ade

I agree my old 5 series was a pain in th a***e as you had to lean across to do the simplist job. But it did have a light built in

The only cars which offered better access are the ones where the whole nose of the car hinges forward (Triumph Herald, and no doubt some more illustrious examples).

Ade
I am sorry but I disagree with this statement. It is harder to remove an engine with a forward tilting bonnet. Mb's are magic to work on with, as stated, the fully open bonnet.

I found this option out shortly after getting my W202, it is simply the best thing ever for ease of working on an engine

The main advantage of a bonnet hinged at the front is that it cannot fly up and cover the windscreen if the catch comes undone at speed .

I noticed what looked like a BMW at the side of the road recently and it had the bonnet hinged from the front - what are the advantages of this arrangement if any as it would seem to restrict access to the bits at the front of the car..

I'm sure there are many more pertinent issues, but one of the reasons for having the hinges on the front is improved front crash performance. With a traditional latch in the front there is the risk of it being ripped out. With the hinges in the front and latch at the rear this is less of a risk.

The safety issues of the latch at the front is a good point. However current new BMWs (E65, E63 etc) have the hinge at the back. So maybe they gave up on the idea.

Some cars also have the hinge at the side!

I love the way the merc has the vertical feature. I use it a lot. Just about fits upwards in my garage too.

My wifes citroen picasso has a similar feature, but still has the manual arm thing to hold it up.

I remember reading an article many moons ago which said that BMW would not switch from Front Hinged bonets until they were sure that a car deforming would not push the bonet into the front seat occupants like a blade. The theory was that a front hinged bonet would just pop up at the latch and head over the roof. Presumably they have either given up or found what they feel is a soloution that works.

I am sorry but I disagree with this statement. It is harder to remove an engine with a forward tilting bonnet. Mb's are magic to work on with, as stated, the fully open bonnet.

Point taken - I seem to remember we ran a Herald many years ago (inherited from my Grandad) and with the bonnet forward, it exposed pretty much everything as there were effectively no wings.. we didn't have the joy of an engine removal as it rusted away before much went wrong mechanically.. Hilarious car, I distinctly remember watching the tarmac whizz by through the holes in the passenger footwell...

Ade

Perhaps a Triumph theme, as I'm sure my Dolomite had a front-hinged bonnet.

My W114 and 5 dont have the upright bonnet hinges, came in afterwards i believe, i did thing about attempting a retro fit but taking the grill off the bonnet gives loads of room anyway.

Point taken - I seem to remember we ran a Herald many years ago (inherited from my Grandad) and with the bonnet forward, it exposed pretty much everything as there were effectively no wings.. we didn't have the joy of an engine removal as it rusted away before much went wrong mechanically.. Hilarious car, I distinctly remember watching the tarmac whizz by through the holes in the passenger footwell...

Ade

You are correct, it was not just the bonnet that went forward, the hinge was around bumper level & the whole front, headlights, grill, wings etc moved forward & away from the car allowing easy access all round.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom