Bonnet Insulation Mat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bassist

Car
R230 SL500 /GLA 250
Hi. Can anybody recommend a suitable adhesive for fixing a new bonnet insulation mat on my R129.:dk:

It's taken ages to get the old mat off and I don't trust Evo Stick as I think it may be too flammable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

MB have their own adhesive for this: MA000 989 92 71. I paid the princely sum of £13 for it a couple of years ago. Given the demands of that particular application -- HEAT -- I can't see any point in using anything other than this manufacturer-formulated product for the sake of saving a quid or two on a job that you will never do again (unless you use the wrong adhesive . . .).

Many thanks Roger. Yes I think you are right, better safe than sorry. I'll get some ordered.

Whilst i would recommend you use the MB product above, my second choice would be 3M FastTack (red tin,black lid), available from many places inc Focus,B&Q, This is,or at least was, used extensively in the motor trade for gluing plastic door trims on,carpets down,& we also used it for fitting vinyl roofs. Its a contact adhesive,coat both halves,leave 10 mins,put in place,done. MAKE SURE if using this product that you GET IT RIGHT FIRST TIME,it grabs like hell & you would ruin your new mat if you try to reposition it.

I used Evo Stick TIMEBOND contact adhesive when I did my SL600, its absolutely perfect for this job as it allows you to adjust it if you don't get it quite right first time. They are tricky to fit, you definately need two people.

The heat generated by the V12 engine is massive and its as good as the day I did it.

Thanks to all.
I knew if I posted the question I'd get sensible information.

Perversely it's not engine heat that melts the glue but strong sunlight. After all, the glue if protected from engine heat by the blanket. Roger is right in saying to use Merc glue. This is the stuff I used but the price is comparable so you might as well go for the real McCoy.

Woolies Trim - Heat Resistant Adhesive

Perversely it's not engine heat that melts the glue but strong sunlight. After all, the glue if protected from engine heat by the blanket. Roger is right in saying to use Merc glue. This is the stuff I used but the price is comparable so you might as well go for the real McCoy.

Woolies Trim - Heat Resistant Adhesive

When I removed the remains of my original pad there were places where the MB glue hadn't stuck at all so its not all that IMHO.

When I removed the remains of my original pad there were places where the MB glue hadn't stuck at all so its not all that IMHO.

:thumb: Although that might be down to build quality rather than the glue. They don't make them like they used to.

:devil::devil::devil:

Fight. :D

Decision made and implemented. Following further discussion with local body work shop.

Used Evostick Time Bond on one surface (the bonnet) and stuck the mat imediately.
Enlisted the assistance of SWMBO and together it took just under 20 minutes.

Looks good and is still tight.

(that's the mat you understand)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom