Bonnet insulation pad glue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pcn1

Car
SL320
I've seen this chatted about on the net, seems most of it in the USA. I need to do this task for my R129.
So has anyone here glued a new bonnet insulation pad to the inside of their car hood ?
Has it lasted the test of time, and what make/type of glue did you use ? Some use spray, others say use a paint on type adhesive. Id like to get it right first time.

Thanks

I have just done this to my R129 SL500. It was nice and easy but I took my time and completely covered the engine bay and wings with sheets. Mine had just become unstuck in a few places but was in almost as new condition. Therefore I didn't need to remove the existing which can be a time consuming and messy job. I used the correct heat resistant adhesive which you can get easily.

There is a link to it here on post #19 :
Advice & Opinions - Soon to sell my 1999 R129 SL500

Not sure if this will work but pics:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/8ce06b6b13dee1bc7e7aed7b305b5b07.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/d586b7b388ee0f333afdf579401230cd.jpg

Rockits, thanks for the reply. I see you have only done this recently, and I read stories of them falling down a few months after being glued (assuming the glue therefore wasn't up to the task). Hopefully someone will come along who has done this a year or so ago and its still stuck firm !
Fortunately the previous owner had the bonnet scrapped clean, bought a new liner but then only clipped it into place at the front and "tucked" the edges into the bonnet. Every time I open the bonnet it just flops down again :(

I have this job outstanding . Last year i did the same as you and posted up the question on said glue. Our very good friend Bruce Millar, who sadly is no longer with us,, sent me a part tin of the glue that he had used to replace his worn bonnet insulation pad on his nice W124 . If you get stuck lol i can find the information from the tin i have in the garage .

I used Bodyline Contact adhesive on my w126 for under bonnet insulation.

Used a generic heat resistant spray contact adhesive. Did take the bonnet off the 116 though as it is big and it was much easier to do it that way certainly when you only get one chance to position it

I've used the green 3M stuff. Best to remove the hood and turn it upside down, and to make sure it's super clean underneath.

I see the SL shop sell "Trim Fix Hi temp" spray on glue. I'm assuming they should know a thing or two about this.
I may just buy that of e-bay. The US based forums talk a lot about 3M Yellow 08090 glue, but that doesn't seem to be available in the UK ?

I removed my old liner at the weekend, its a MB item, and is in perfect condition. It also revealed glue marks under the bonnet of the last failed attempt to fix it in place !
Also it revealed 2 small area of corrosion at the front where the grill mounts into "lip" the bonnet, and the liner is clipped into place on that lip. Seems an area where rain water can get trapped between the liner and bonnet and just sit there to corrode. Another little job to take care off.....

Last edited:
Hi,

I used Trim-Fix adhesive from T and A upholstery supplies on my 129. One 500 ml can. Has lasted a year with no signs of it failing. Bought the insulation mat from a company in Germany of fleabay. Good fit and £65 ish.
Just pick a non windy day of doing it outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

£65? Even though the 116 is 46 years old Mercedes had the bonnet insulation pad in stock and available for £35.

£65? Even though the 116 is 46 years old Mercedes had the bonnet insulation pad in stock and available for £35.

I nearly always check prices with MB as they are usually surprising cheaper. In this case they where the more expensive option. Maybe because it’s a 129.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've done a few and always use the Mercedes glue. From memory (not great!) it is only about £25 but I could be wrong! worth an ask to Mercedes, might surprise you!
*I have just fired an email off to Mercedes parts to check the price!

Natacha

£27.60+ vat from Mercedes
ive just got the bonnet insulation for my 124, merces told me they don't do the glue anymore, I was hoping to do it tomorrow but it seems you can only get heat resistant adhesive on the web, unless someone knows where I can get some from

I've got a whole new can if your anywhere near Potters Bar way. I bought 2 as wasn't sure if 1 was enough. Used about 3/4 of a can in the end.

Needs to be the heat resistant stuff. The proper stuff I bought worked a treat.

I've got a whole new can if your anywhere near Potters Bar way. I bought 2 as wasn't sure if 1 was enough. Used about 3/4 of a can in the end.

Needs to be the heat resistant stuff. The proper stuff I bought worked a treat.
im in uxbridge only about 40mins round the 25, if your about tomorrow I would definatly have it off you

Yup, should be about as have daughter birthday tea with family round. PM me your details and I'll send you mine.

Yup, should be about as have daughter birthday tea with family round. PM me your details and I'll send you mine.
Nice one that’s great, one problem I don’t know how to pm you how do I do that

Should be able to just click on my forum name and you will option to send a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom