Bonnet Mercedes W124 insulation info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
As above .Just about to order a new insulation cover for the bonnet . Can the aftermarket insulation part equal Mercedes ? Has anyone done there car bonnet ?. .And if so what insulation did you use? [who from ] And if you have replaced it,, what adesive did you used to fit it ..I need to replace it so it looks 100% under there .Its falling to bits on the ends .Thank you for looking in on this post.

I order the Genuine insulation from Mb for my w126, that was around 15years ago, i used Bodyline Contact adhesive, its proper bodyshop stuff.

I bought a genuine MB piece for my 124 from a member on here. Came with genuine MB adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Last edited:
FYI: I have half a tin of the Genuine Merc stuff you are welcome to have for the postage.

That is ample. It is a contact adhesive (and I do mean instant contact).

I used a wallpaper scraper to apply it. Left for 10 minutes then went for it. You get one try. A helper is good with dry run test fit to get your bearings. Some have used masking tape to mark out guides to help you 'land' it in the exact position, first time. That is probably smarter than what I did.

Bruce pm sent And thanks to all the information given [Merc85] [Richard ]

Richard i looked at the link to the site that you had your pad from .Nothing for my W124 on there .But thank you .

Cover everything when you take the old one off - the black debris gets everywhere and lasts for ever. Its particularly tiresome if in the ventilation system.

Bruce pm sent And thanks to all the information given [Merc85] [Richard ]

Richard i looked at the link to the site that you had your pad from .Nothing for my W124 on there .But thank you .

Look on the bay of dreams, Febi pads around £35 from UK suppliers.

Replaced mine with a genuine one from Main Dealer based upon VIN number. That way gets you exactly the right part with cut outs etc. MB sell the correct adhesive too.

Thank you Mike i think MB is the way to go .I would not think that any aftermarket bonnet insulation would mesure up to the genuine MB ones . So i will give them a ring asap..Cheers .. Thats only if anyone can prove otherwise

Thank you Mike i think MB is the way to go .I would not think that any aftermarket bonnet insulation would mesure up to the genuine MB ones . So i will give them a ring asap..Cheers .. Thats only if anyone can prove otherwise

Bare in mind genuine MB insulation (like their wiring harnesses) falls apart.
Loyalty should be won not expected!

My original took 30ish years to need doing. I replaced with MB one but used 3M 3180 spray I think it was. Awesome stuff, has been solid since and that was a few years ago now. Bit hard to find that stuff though. I used two cans.

Cleaning is vital of course. And in the process, what a mess.
Don't cheap out on adhesive, not worth it imo.

Now gents. I did read somewhere. That both the insulation and the adhesive are designed with heat and safety uppermost.

The glue is designed to melt before the insulation, thus allowing the insulation to drop (like a fire blanket).

Believe it or ignore it.

optimusprime said:

Did you get my PM?

Bruce i sent you a pm did you get it .My address was in there also ..Trev

Bruce yes .I think pm in the email section is lacking something. And i can see no pm i have sent, it is just empty .So i dont know if i had sent it or not ..But i had

The cover i have in there right now is not that bad after 28 years .Its just on the ends in the place it fits at the back of the bonnet lip . I did see the Febi pads on fleabay , but dont know how they compare with Mercedes pads .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom