Bonnet: Open to 90 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anders

Car
‘14 BMW X5 M50D
Apologies if this is a particularly daft question, but I can't figure out how to open the bonnet to 90 degrees...

It will normally open to about 35 degrees, and when you then tamper with the two levers on either side of the hinges you get an additional 15 cm opening or so, but not anywhere near 90 degrees.

What am I doing wrong :confused: :eek:

Anders said:
Apologies if this is a particularly daft question, but I can't figure out how to open the bonnet to 90 degrees...

It will normally open to about 35 degrees, and when you then tamper with the two levers on either side of the hinges you get an additional 15 cm opening or so, but not anywhere near 90 degrees.

What am I doing wrong :confused: :eek:

If you open the bonet and go to the hinges on both sides. there are little spring loaded pins attached to a long handel holding the hinge from going up.

Lower the bonet slightly and release one side and do the same with the other and it should go right up to 90 degrees and lock up there.

Same procedure for lowering it again.

Tamper with the drivers side lever (passenger side lever on your car) first, and then with that half engaged, do the other side . . . it should then rise to 90 degrees - with a bit of manual effort needed !

S.

Thanks to both of you - I had figured out the trick with the two levers, but I thought it only gave me bit of additional room. Obviously I need to put a bit of effort into getting the bonnet up to 90 degrees then - will give it a try tomorrow now that I know I am not going to break anything by doing so.

My W124 DOES open 90 degrees, Wifey's W202 only goes an extra 15 degrees or so. I don't want to push it any more. :eek:

PJH said:
My W124 DOES open 90 degrees, Wifey's W202 only goes an extra 15 degrees or so. I don't want to push it any more. :eek:

202 should go to 90 degrees as well. I had mine right open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom