Bonnet release wire about 3ml too short

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E430Mad

Car
2001 e430
Not technically engine related, but it is under the hood.

I have a 2001 w210. The bonnet release wire is about 3 ml too short.

As a result the passenger side bonnet catch mechanism wont engage when you slam the bonnet. The 3ml pull on the wire doesn't allow the catch to engage.

Anybody experienced this?

Any way of extending the wire by about 3ml?

3 millilitres short? ;) Probably easier to buy a new bit of cable. How did it suddenly get too short?

3mm ? Is this a new cable you have just fitted ? Undo as many clip fittings as you can find holding the cable sheath and give it a good tug and a wiggle...(that did't sound right) and I am sure you will make up the 3mm deficit.

Handle end fully pushed back?

If you examine the cable carefully you will probably find the cable outer is rusty in one or more places. What usually happens is the black plastic coating splits, damp gets in, and the spiral wound cable outer goes rusty and swells. The swelling effectively lengthens the cable outer, thereby making the cable inner too short.

This is definitely not a Merc fix, But if it was me, and depending on how much free inner cable ( ie inner cable not covered by the outer) I would cut the inner and, using a choc bloc electrical connector extend the cable. I have used this many time as quick fixes to get people on the road, sometimes it doesn’t work, but may be worth a try.
However, as others have said, it may be time for a new cable.

This is definitely not a Merc fix, But if it was me, and depending on how much free inner cable ( ie inner cable not covered by the outer) I would cut the inner and, using a choc bloc electrical connector extend the cable. I have used this many time as quick fixes to get people on the road, sometimes it doesn’t work, but may be worth a try.
However, as others have said, it may be time for a new cable.
Frought with danger that. I’ve just had an Audi A8 in with a detached bonnet cable. Bonnet was stuck shut on both latches. Took me five hours to get it open, to my credit without a smidge of damage. If in doubt, new parts all the way. These things can be difficult.

Not sure why it has gotten short. But the pull on the passenger latch is keeping that side open.

Go above 60mph and you can see that side lifting with the wind.

Gonna remove the cross panels covering the cable and have a look, see whats going on. Initial examinations show the cover sheath is fairly rusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom