bonnet release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhin0

Car
E350
today i went to open bonnet and the lever has come away from secure position. is this an easy fix? thanks in advance

“Easy?” Depends on which model? And where it has come apart? Then what has broken.

In my W203 just releasing the bonnet catch was a nightmare requiring getting under the car. Dropping the front under tray? Poking a long metal earthing hook up under the slam panel. Releasing the catch.

Then it was a GOOGLE session. New cable and new catch (on the w203 there are two cables that make up the one.

So it is s faff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well from your post it seems that the handle you pull to release the bonnet has come apart from the cable,you will need to get behind the panel where the handle is and see if you can get to the cable and then just pull that to open the bonnet,if the catch has broken then depending on how old the car is you can buy new or at a breakers,Bruce has already outlined the worst possible situation with a bonnet release and that is it breaks at the bonnet catch in the engine compartment,as he detailed a real PITA .

sorry should of explained better. its the handle inside car . pulled the release and whole thing came away into my hands.

Edit

I bought a new handle (£14) I think from eBay.

It is held into the kick panel by one Philips screw and easy to fit “if” the cables remain in situ.

The worst case is that the cables move/stretch. You then end up in a pickle as the bonnet catches jam shut and cannot be easily undone without dropping the undertray and getting along hook up behind the slam panel to release the catches.

Well it looks like you can buy your bonnet release on ebay at around £14

I know this is an old post but Ive got a W03 2004 c class. Bonnet stuck closed. Cable snapped fault . The catch holding my bonnet down is my drivers side one. Offside. What is the best way of accessing that latch. an you advise a bit more please. It ;ooks really tight under there wth the intercooler and radiator and cowling and fan to be able to even see the latche which i cant. Please help.

“Easy?” Depends on which model? And where it has come apart? Then what has broken.

In my W203 just releasing the bonnet catch was a nightmare requiring getting under the car. Dropping the front under tray? Poking a long metal earthing hook up under the slam panel. Releasing the catch.

Then it was a GOOGLE session. New cable and new catch (on the w203 there are two cables that make up the one.

So it is s faff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom