Bonnet won't stay up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
I took the old girl out today and as I stopped at the junction there was a clonk. As I pulled away from the junction (I was turning right) I glanced back to see if I'd run over something or something had fallen off! There was nothing. I was a little worried as to what had happened, so pulled over and checked underneath, nothing underneath or hanging down. I thought I'd check under the bonnet to see if anything had come loose. I pulled the tab in the grill and really struggled to lift the bonnet, it's normally easy to open but this was so heavy and it didn't stay up. Was the clonk anything to do with the bonnet issue? Your thoughts please, thanks

Sounds like one, or both, springs that assist with opening the bonnet, have broken. That would account for the noise. The springs are hidden within the wings - probably have to remove the wheel-arch liners to see them.

Any pics of what I'm looking for please ?

Or it could be one of the bonnet struts has failed/gas leaked out and won't support the weight.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have thought that a bonnet spring would “go” whilst turning, more likely a suspension part.
Does the old girl still stand straight and even ?? and does she still handle as she did.
Hopefully a coincidence and just a bonnet spring gone. I‘m sure someone will have a quick look at it for you.

I took the old girl out today and as I stopped at the junction there was a clonk. As I pulled away from the junction (I was turning right) I glanced back to see if I'd run over something or something had fallen off! There was nothing. I was a little worried as to what had happened, so pulled over and checked underneath, nothing underneath or hanging down. I thought I'd check under the bonnet to see if anything had come loose. I pulled the tab in the grill and really struggled to lift the bonnet, it's normally easy to open but this was so heavy and it didn't stay up. Was the clonk anything to do with the bonnet issue? Your thoughts please, thanks
Sounds like the gas strut has come off one end and fired itself open which was the bang you heard .
They look like this in either side of the engine bay (or just one side )
B35B7890-D74B-4FEF-943B-C45C2869F95D.jpg

Any pics of what I'm looking for please ?
On a 129, but the 124 should be similar. Left hand edge of picture

7EhqHde.jpg

Thanks, I'll have a better look tomorrow in day light. I didn't notice any difference in the handling @Wearsthefoxhat, so hopefully its just the spring or bonnet strut.

Sounds like you need help from Cole again Sarah!! It's got to be the bonnet lifting system, whether that spring or the hydraulic strut - on 968's it was common for the hydraulic struts to fail, mechanics were surprised when the bonnet of mine stayed open!

I would have bet good money that nobody would have a picture of the spring on your car,but there it is,should not be a big job to change,check where you can get a spring and delivery,but any mobile mechanic should be able to change it ,best of luck.

I would have bet good money that nobody would have a picture of the spring on your car,but there it is,should not be a big job to change,check where you can get a spring and delivery,but any mobile mechanic should be able to change it ,best of luck.
Sadly, whoever fixes it will make it a big job. Being a 124, it will be a spring - they don't have hydraulic struts - and access is very poor, perhaps impossible, without removing the wing.

Some years ago, my boot lid became less enthusiastic to open. The springs were fine but there are three adjustment hooks, so by pulling the spring back one, strength was restored. The point being, the powerful boot spring is as nothing compared to the bonnet ones. I reckon there is a risk to health attempting this with the wing in place - albeit a simple bolt on job.

I'll try to get a proper look later, I'm out atm so not near the car and might not be back before it gets dark , so it may be tomorrow before I can update.

This might help :

Attachments

• 124 E200 bonnet spring.pdf
    61.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Removal and installation of engine hood hinges Model 124.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Ok checked the car. The bonnet wont stay in the first position but will in the second 90 degree position. I cant see any issue with the mechanism itself but I don't think I'm going to be able to get under the car to see if the spring has come off. It will need checking out properly once in the air, so until I can do that, nothing more to report

As we briefly discussed yesterday, it’s behind the wing in the top back corner. Arch liner out to fix. There is one each side. I’ll bet you a pound you strip the wrong liner out first time.

As we briefly discussed yesterday, it’s behind the wing in the top back corner. Arch liner out to fix. There is one each side. I’ll bet you a pound you strip the wrong liner out first time.
How easy is it to get the liner out? Can I do this on the ground?

You just mind your fingers if you are gonna poke about inside the wing.
You need to take the offending sides wheel off before you can take the liner out I think. As Jobsworth mentioned, which side though.
Does one side of the bonnet feel better supported than the other .... does it give more aid when being lifted but no doubt still a guess as to which one.

Ok checked the car. The bonnet wont stay in the first position but will in the second 90 degree position.
Well, Sarah, it would - it's a mechanical "bolt" after all and is balanced without the spring.

You've spent long enough on this - and a cold, dark, December day is not the time to be grovelling around under the car.

And I'll tell you something else: if it is the spring, I'm certain the wing will have to come off. If so, you have to remove the front plastic cladding and the door check strap to reach two of the bolts plus another hard-to-reach one at the front of the wheelarch. (ask me how I know...).

If I was a stale old git, I'd say it's not a job for a girlie - but I'd get my head in my hands to play with... :D:D:D ...so I won't!

... but it is certainly no longer a job for the likes of me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, Sarah, it would - it's a mechanical "bolt" after all and is balanced without the spring.

You've spent long enough on this - and a cold, dark, December day is not the time to be grovelling around under the car.

And I'll tell you something else: if it is the spring, I'm certain the wing will have to come off. If so, you have to remove the front plastic cladding and the door check strap to reach two of the bolts plus another hard-to-reach one at the front of the wheelarch. (ask me how I know...).

If I was a stale old git, I'd say it's not a job for a girlie - but I'd get my head in my hands to play with... :D:D:D ...so I won't!

... but it is certainly no longer a job for the likes of me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks, I really appreciate yours and others replies to this, but I think this is gonna be a job for my favourite indy :thumb: . I'll keep you all posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom