Books - current, past and future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just can’t sit down and read anymore, although I have some great books to go at......one day perhaps?
Best so far, and many years ago........The Godfather, Valley of the dolls, Treasure Island.

I’m so really embarrassed to say I have lots of books bought especially for me by my girls over the years but have read none of them. Never seem to get a slot to settle down and start one. I blame this forum. ☺️

I always have a book by the bed and armchair, and never to get on a train or plane without one.

By the bed is "Ripley Under Ground" by Patricia Highsmith. A re-read from 20 years ago.
It's next to Mervyn King's "The end of Alchemy, money, banking, and the future of the global economy." A slow read as it's too technical / thought provoking. I should be reading that on a train or plane, but there's a problem with that at the moment.

In the queue is a set of short stories from Daphne Du Maurier "Don't look now and other stories." (Because saw I was remind what great writer she is when I saw that rubbish Rebecca remake on Netflix), "Why the German do it better: notes from a grown up country" and Lionel Barber's new book of Diaries.

By the chair is "Boris Johnson: the gambler" by Tom Bower. Only just started.
I've just finished "Left out" the story of Corbyn's time as Labour leader. I thought I knew the highlights of how unpopular and incompetent this very nice, well-meaning, activist was when he got mistakenly taken for a political leader, but dear lord, the book is a jaw dropper.

Recent books (last couple of months): "My Cousin Rachel" and "The Birds and other stories" by Daphne du Maurier. Brilliant stuff
The craft: a history of the Freemasons. Fascinating and weird but the stuff about the rest of the World is impenetrable to anyone who's not on the Square.
Britain's best 100 Railway stations by Simon Jenkins - Funky but I'm a Railway child.
The great trees of London
Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner. Extraordinary life.
Stuffocation
Between the Stops by Sandy Toksvig.

Can't begin to suggest my most memorable reads. From a work perspective CP Snow, Michael Porter and Charles Handy had the biggest impact.
"Year in Provence" sold me on France when I was a Young Un. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance was relevant to me as an Engineer's son who loved engines and machines but didn't really want to be a fitter.

Never got round to read: Dickens. I can absolutely see the value and depth, just can't get through the prose. Dickens used to give florid readings (to a public that, in the main, was new to reading), and I suspect that's the only way I'd ever take to them

Thanks for the thread, Gollom. I'll be adding other people's suggestions to my queue.

"I should get out more."

Last edited:
I have just finished 'The seven pillars of wisdom' T.E Lawrence. It took me about 6 years , no kidding. I put it on my Kindle all that time ago when my business took me all over the world . Many other books and newspapers have been downloaded and digested over these years and so have many physical books , some have even been re-read !

But TSPOW (see what I did) has been a long stretch, I kind of remember seeing some bits of the film but have certainly no seen it all.

The 1920's language and the plethora of Arab tribes/individuals named ad scattered through the story I found it hard to keep focused. But once I start a book rarely do I not finish it. It's a good story and one I might read again, maybe there is a modern abridged version out there 'Killing Turks and blowing up trains for Dummies' type of thing ?

I did very well on the last book I read, it was called 'The big shiny red fire Engine' ...it said 5 to 6 years on the cover , I manged to finish it in 3 months !! so there !

Never got round to read: Dickens. I can absolutely see the value and depth, just can't get through the prose. Dickens used to give florid readings (to a public that, in the main, was new to reading), and I suspect that's the only way I'd ever take to them

You could try Pickwick papers which was Dickens first big success. Once it gets going a character called Sam Weller is introduced who is jut hilarious.

For 'Prose and dialect' Try Irvine Welsh 'Trainspotting' If you know the film you will have to read the book using a Scottish accent ...and not that of Sean Connery, more Billy Connolly/Rab C Nesbitt

Faekin brootal mon

I read when sat on the toilet - and other times too of course

I usually have on the go (pardon the unintentional pun!)

A toilet book - normally non-fiction that I don't have to desperately get to the last page and can put down
A bedroom book - normally pretty light reading - a novel or something. On an e-reader which I find more comfortable when dropping off
A downstairs book - normally an autobiography or something heavier

I read fast too - which I hate as books don't last long enough for me!

I read fast too - which I hate as books don't last long enough for me!

There are many books I'm sad to finish and wish they were longer even books with well over 1000 pages. It's one test of a good book. I sometimes ration myself to make them last longer,

One of my favourite series of books are the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I appreciate they're not to everyone's taste being a fantasy series of books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom