Boot lid closing fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Bit of a first world problem, and something I've learnt to live with so not a huge issue, but thought I would pursue in case there might be an easy fix.

Normally when my boot is opened by the key, it opens fine.

But on bright sunny days, the boot opens halfway and stops (as if it has detected something above and stopped itself). I think it may have done it once whilst it wasn't a bright sunny day but I can't remember now but it's certainly not more than once if it did.

Also I don't think there is any relationship as to what the temperature is doing.

Once it is in this opened-state, it takes a bit of messing around to shut it. I have to press the boot handle, lock the car, unlock the car and repeat all this is a random order, whilst shutting the boot now and again, because it keeps opening once it has been shut.

The setting to limit the boot lid from opening up too far, if there is an object in the way, is off. So it is free to open up fully whether there is something in the way or not.

I've mentioned it to MB in the past when it has been in for warranty work and they told me they updated the firmware on the control module and reset it. But it still does it.

I thought about trying to recreate by shining a bright torch but I don't have access to WIS and cannot find information on how it works (i.e. is it radar, has it got a sensor somewhere) so I wouldn't know where to shine it. There is a small component in the middle of the rear parcel shelf near the window but I suspect that is a movement sensor for the alarm.

I've searched around and found this complaint on the 222, 221 and 220.

I never had any issues with it on my 2004 E55K so I guess this is an S Class quirk.

Forgot to ask... has anyone seen this or got any ideas what it could be?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom