Boot Lid Model Badges -W211- E320 - 2009my

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
I'll be getting my E320 next week (very excited) :bannana:.
It's got the standard E320 and CDI badges on the boot lid. I hate model badges, they look untidy and I'm of the opinion that I know what it is, you don’t need to know so my preference would be to remove the badges…

So my question: How are the model badges secured to the boot, are they just glued on and therefor easily removable or will pealing them off leave holes/clips or anything else?

I take them off all my cars if I don't have the option to order them without.

They are fixed using a double sided sticky pad.

Thanks Guys

So the badges will be gone very soon after I get the new (to me) car. Struth the wait is killing me...

You will need Autosmart Tardis, Prep Solve or similar, a small paint brush, an hairdryer, strong cotton or fishing line.
Mask off surrounding area, then apply Tardis / Prep Solve to badge with artists brush, leave to dwell. Put some towels around as you dont want the solvent dripping onto any other plastic parts as it could mark them if left.
Now slowly warm up the badge up with hairdryer. Once warm, slide the cotton or fishing line down the back of the badge to loosen or lift. Very carefully lift and remove badge.
Once removed polish area and then wax.

They just peel off, no drama.

A bit of warmth would help, but not essential. I de-badge all my cars for the clean look and easy cleaning, especially the ones on the front wings, usually by using a bit of warm water to help loosen the glue.

I'm with Dave.

All I've used in the past is some of that white "tape" that bundles of magazines are wrapped in, and with a gentle sawing action behind the badge it comes off.

This was what MB Salisbury told me they use.

However, I've only ever taken a crooked badge off to replace it with another properly aligned one.

Badges all the way for me :thumb:.

Bit of warm water poured over the badges then dental floss behind and slowly 'saw' them off.

I prefer the debadge look too, the newer Mercedes are even worse for them as well.

I remove them as I'm not a fan of chrome and I think it looks 'cleaner'.

Should never pull them off as you'd be amazed (and pi$$ed) at how easy it is to put tiny dents in from the edge where the badge/ letter pivots against side you're pulling.

Warm water and dental floss FTW.

I'd be worried the tie wrap (white newspaper tape) would scuff the paint.

3M sticky tape is what holds them on...gently heat with a hair-dryer, then floss the badges off....any residue clean with WD40 (great for removing labels and other sticky stuff)'...and then polish the whole boot !

I'm proud to now own an ML320 and don't mind telling the guy behind me what it is. :) (they are as rare as hens teeth over here).

But I do strongly object when a garage or dealership 'any' adds their name and phone number to the paintwork. Grrrrrrr! :(

I fail to understand the logic behind de-badging your car, you wouldn't do it with your 65" Samsung / Sony tv...or...a really expensive hi-fi system, Rolex / Breitling watch....why do it with a car....smacks to me of 'insecurity' ......JMOBIKIR.

Rational

I fail to understand the logic behind de-badging your car, you wouldn't do it with your 65" Samsung / Sony tv...or...a really expensive hi-fi system, Rolex / Breitling watch....why do it with a car....smacks to me of 'insecurity' ......JMOBIKIR.

Ultimately its a personal preference, I'm between a couple of these:

1) The badges are applied by the manufacturer as advertising. But its not their car its mine and they are not paying me a fee to promote them.

2) If you have a bottom of the range car you may not want to advertise the fact. If you have a top of the range S class you may not want to brag.

3) Its my car and I know what it is, you don't need to know.

4) I just think cars look neater without and it makes polishing easier.

When I win the Lotto and order that fully optioned Maybach (with tow ball, I like caravaning:D) model badge delete will be on the list.

I'm considering a none year personalised plate, most people aren't familiar with the MB range and cant tell one from the next...

Just my 2p, my car and my view.

For the record - dental floss, tar spot remover and polish. Badges gone. :bannana:

Pics please as iam considering it.☺

Pics please as iam considering it.☺

Only one I can find as I'm not on my main computer, but this is a quick one of mine. It makes cleaning a lot easier as stated previously.

Boot%20Clean.jpg

I've just got these to replace my wing sports badges
I don't mind a badge or two but like to make them a bit more individual
I blacked the ones on the boot as well

I used water as hot as my hand could stand and a sponge held on the badge for a couple of mins and dental floss

Easiest way is using braided fishing line (very thin and strong), don't think dental floss is strong enough. Get a length of line and pull it in a sawing motion behind the badge -*** DON'T BE TEMPTED TO PEEL THE LAST CORNER *** you'll put a nice chip in your paintwork. After you've removed the badge just peel any of the sticky pad that's left with a fingernail, nothing else, and finally use some tar remover on any remaining gunk.
Careful with the fishing line , it's like cheese wire , and you don't want blood everywhere.

I just warmed mine with a hairdryer, used some string to work it off and then nail polish remover to get rid of excess glue... Finally a very light polish of whole area

Looks a lot cleaner!

Boot Badges

I have no problem if people want to remove badges, but I do find it amusing if they replace them with false ones.
My son, when he was running an M3 had great pleasure in pointing out all the fakes he saw on the road. Round here we have a basic C220 with AMG badge and a little "s" after the C220. Also seen locally a CLS 65 AMG ?? The CLS are a different font to standard, the owner has gone to the trouble of fitting false double twin tailpipes to create the illusion but the effect is spoiled by the two bar grill and Blue Efficiency badges on the wings, sad really !
Me personally have never seen the point of mucking about with the badges and prefer to leave well alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom