Boot-lip spoiler fixing, 3M VHB tape?

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Spitfire, May 3, 2016.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Member

Car:
    C350 Coupe AMG Sport, V6 Petrol
    Hi all

I have just finished making my own one-off carbon boot-lip spoiler (and carbon diffuser section beneath the rear bumper) and reading some earlier posts on here I understand that some people have used 3M VHB double sided tape to fix their spoilers in place and am considering doing the same with mine. (I do not want to start drilling holes in the boot lid).

Apparently 3M VHB tape comes in various thicknesses, I am lead to believe, such as (approx.) 0.4mm, 0.6mm, 0.8mm, 1.1mm and 1.55mm and was wondering if any of you out there that have used this tape could recommend which thickness to go for? Any input would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. W202 C-Crash

W202 C-Crash New Member

Car:
    w202 c180 saloon
    Tape is good for one thing and one thin only. And that's number plates. If I were you I would invest in some clamps and some sikaflex or similar as anything that is going to be caught by the wind as your driving needs to be stuck fast! You really don't want to risk wiping someone out on the motorway with flying car parts.

3. Ditch

Ditch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 C220 Estate
    Ive never failed with the 3m vhb so long as the surface was properly prep'd. that includes trim and fittings well beyond number plates but never on a spoiler.

Id tend to agree for the loads it will be under that good old fashioned screws are the answer for this one.

4. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I ended up getting mine screwed to the bootlid. even Stickaflex couldnt stop it coming off in the Summer sun.

5. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    FWIW my wife's SLK350 was factory fitted with a spoiler as was my previous E63. They are stuck on with adhesive tape (probably a 3M VHB variant or similar).

My advice would be to speak with a reputable bodyshop and take their advice regarding the adhesive system to use. My suspicion is that the success or failure of an appropriate high-bond adhesive tape is more down to preparation than the properties of the tape.

1 person likes this.
  6. TKvS

TKvS Banned

Car:
    CLS
    I fitted a boot-lid spoiler and rear roof spoiler with 3M VHB ...never had a problem.....even at higher speeds.....as long as the area is prepped properly......complete and very thorough wash-down and then wiped a number of times with IPA....then heat the area and VHB tape with a hair-dryer on hot setting.....and if possible to clamp this will help...if not..then liberal quantities of masking tape will have to do......be prepared to leave overnight and don't zip along at high speeds immediately after you've fitted....let it bond for at least 24 hrs.....then a good wash to get rid of tape marks.

1 person likes this.
  7. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    As soon as you park your car outside on a hot day in direct sun, it will detach from the bodywork, thats why I had to get it screwed + Stickafex.

8. TKvS

TKvS Banned

Car:
    CLS
    Sorry for your bad experience....mine has been on for over a year.....hasn't fallen off yet and shows no clear and present danger......different experiences for different folks....I s'pose !

9. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Tigar seal in clear or black will do just fine.

10. chrisdean

chrisdean Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
    All you need to consider is whether or not you will want to remove it and leave no evidence at some point in the future.

11. OP
    OP
    Spitfire

Spitfire Member

Car:
    Thanks for the replies, a cross section of results there.

You could be right there, preparation and cleanliness and removal of all waxes/dirt/polishes/oils etc would be essential to success I think. May be worth my while dropping into my local Merc dealer and ordering whatever they use as standard ......!

Thanks for that, could you tell me which thickness of VHB tape you used? I had toyed with the idea of either 0.8mm or 1.0mm thick tape.

Do you know which material your spoiler was made from? Under warmer temps some materials could more prone to twisting or lifting maybe? I have made mine from carbon (a type which we use on other manufacturers high-end cars) which should be more stable under warm temps (and UV resistant), and less prone to 'moving' or twisting/lifting.

Thanks again for the replies.

12. SLKGirl

SLKGirl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK 350 AMG Sport (R172), Porsche 996 4S, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8, Honda Fireblade, Honda RC45
    My SLK has a factory fitted spoiler, it is stuck on with tape of some description and seems fine.

1 person likes this.
  13. TKvS

TKvS Banned

Car:
    CLS
    1.0mm

1 person likes this.
  14. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    I know what you're saying. Black paintwork gets really hot in sunlight. On a white or light coloured car this wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure what colour the OP car is. If it's black he's welcome to use my Paslode. :D

Ant.

15. cobra2222

cobra2222 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI Coupe
    tried adhesive on my spoiler but kept coming off, used tiger seal over a year ago and still stuck on solid.

16. DRWood

DRWood New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C180K AMG Sport
    I used a mix of tiger seal and 1.0mm 3M VHB tape on my spoiler and it has not moved. Dab of Tiger Seal on each end and a small one in the middle. If applied properly the 3M VHB tape should hold on its own, but better safe than sorry with the TS. Clean the area well with pre paint or Isopropyl Alcohol, apply the spoiler with tape and or TS press well and secure ideally overnight with tape.

1 person likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Spitfire

Spitfire Member

Car:
    Thanks for the reply and input, seems like perfectly sound advice and method to me. I think that has confirmed my attachment method for the spoiler, I was a little unsure of which thickness of tape to use, yourself and TKvS have now answered that question.

The one off carbon spoiler and diffuser that I have made will each be given a coat of laquer this weekend, once fully cured and fitted to the car I may post a pic or two of them in separate thread sometime.

Thanks again!

18. chrisdean

chrisdean Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
    Try to leave most of the tapes backing strip in place whilst fitting. Start it in a couple of places and remove completely when the position is correct.

1 person likes this.
  19. spartacusC350

spartacusC350 New Member

Car:
    mercedes C350 AMG sport 2012
    I've stuck my current spoiler down with 3M double sided tape down with no problems at all, clean the area and stick the spoiler on and let it set overnight, had mine over 2 years and no problems.