Boot-lip spoiler fixing, 3M VHB tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spitfire

Car
C350 Coupe AMG Sport, V6 Petrol
Hi all

I have just finished making my own one-off carbon boot-lip spoiler (and carbon diffuser section beneath the rear bumper) and reading some earlier posts on here I understand that some people have used 3M VHB double sided tape to fix their spoilers in place and am considering doing the same with mine. (I do not want to start drilling holes in the boot lid).

Apparently 3M VHB tape comes in various thicknesses, I am lead to believe, such as (approx.) 0.4mm, 0.6mm, 0.8mm, 1.1mm and 1.55mm and was wondering if any of you out there that have used this tape could recommend which thickness to go for? Any input would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tape is good for one thing and one thin only. And that's number plates. If I were you I would invest in some clamps and some sikaflex or similar as anything that is going to be caught by the wind as your driving needs to be stuck fast! You really don't want to risk wiping someone out on the motorway with flying car parts.

Ive never failed with the 3m vhb so long as the surface was properly prep'd. that includes trim and fittings well beyond number plates but never on a spoiler.

Id tend to agree for the loads it will be under that good old fashioned screws are the answer for this one.

I ended up getting mine screwed to the bootlid. even Stickaflex couldnt stop it coming off in the Summer sun.

FWIW my wife's SLK350 was factory fitted with a spoiler as was my previous E63. They are stuck on with adhesive tape (probably a 3M VHB variant or similar).

My advice would be to speak with a reputable bodyshop and take their advice regarding the adhesive system to use. My suspicion is that the success or failure of an appropriate high-bond adhesive tape is more down to preparation than the properties of the tape.

I fitted a boot-lid spoiler and rear roof spoiler with 3M VHB ...never had a problem.....even at higher speeds.....as long as the area is prepped properly......complete and very thorough wash-down and then wiped a number of times with IPA....then heat the area and VHB tape with a hair-dryer on hot setting.....and if possible to clamp this will help...if not..then liberal quantities of masking tape will have to do......be prepared to leave overnight and don't zip along at high speeds immediately after you've fitted....let it bond for at least 24 hrs.....then a good wash to get rid of tape marks.

As soon as you park your car outside on a hot day in direct sun, it will detach from the bodywork, thats why I had to get it screwed + Stickafex.

Sorry for your bad experience....mine has been on for over a year.....hasn't fallen off yet and shows no clear and present danger......different experiences for different folks....I s'pose !

Tigar seal in clear or black will do just fine.

All you need to consider is whether or not you will want to remove it and leave no evidence at some point in the future.

Thanks for the replies, a cross section of results there.

FWIW my wife's SLK350 was factory fitted with a spoiler as was my previous E63. They are stuck on with adhesive tape (probably a 3M VHB variant or similar).

My advice would be to speak with a reputable bodyshop and take their advice regarding the adhesive system to use. My suspicion is that the success or failure of an appropriate high-bond adhesive tape is more down to preparation than the properties of the tape.

You could be right there, preparation and cleanliness and removal of all waxes/dirt/polishes/oils etc would be essential to success I think. May be worth my while dropping into my local Merc dealer and ordering whatever they use as standard ......!

I fitted a boot-lid spoiler and rear roof spoiler with 3M VHB ...never had a problem.....even at higher speeds.....as long as the area is prepped properly......complete and very thorough wash-down and then wiped a number of times with IPA....then heat the area and VHB tape with a hair-dryer on hot setting.....and if possible to clamp this will help...if not..then liberal quantities of masking tape will have to do......be prepared to leave overnight and don't zip along at high speeds immediately after you've fitted....let it bond for at least 24 hrs.....then a good wash to get rid of tape marks.

Thanks for that, could you tell me which thickness of VHB tape you used? I had toyed with the idea of either 0.8mm or 1.0mm thick tape.

As soon as you park your car outside on a hot day in direct sun, it will detach from the bodywork, thats why I had to get it screwed + Stickafex.

Do you know which material your spoiler was made from? Under warmer temps some materials could more prone to twisting or lifting maybe? I have made mine from carbon (a type which we use on other manufacturers high-end cars) which should be more stable under warm temps (and UV resistant), and less prone to 'moving' or twisting/lifting.

Thanks again for the replies.

My SLK has a factory fitted spoiler, it is stuck on with tape of some description and seems fine.

I know what you're saying. Black paintwork gets really hot in sunlight. On a white or light coloured car this wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure what colour the OP car is. If it's black he's welcome to use my Paslode. :D

Ant.

tried adhesive on my spoiler but kept coming off, used tiger seal over a year ago and still stuck on solid.

I used a mix of tiger seal and 1.0mm 3M VHB tape on my spoiler and it has not moved. Dab of Tiger Seal on each end and a small one in the middle. If applied properly the 3M VHB tape should hold on its own, but better safe than sorry with the TS. Clean the area well with pre paint or Isopropyl Alcohol, apply the spoiler with tape and or TS press well and secure ideally overnight with tape.

I used a mix of tiger seal and 1.0mm 3M VHB tape on my spoiler and it has not moved. Dab of Tiger Seal on each end and a small one in the middle. If applied properly the 3M VHB tape should hold on its own, but better safe than sorry with the TS. Clean the area well with pre paint or Isopropyl Alcohol, apply the spoiler with tape and or TS press well and secure ideally overnight with tape.

Thanks for the reply and input, seems like perfectly sound advice and method to me. I think that has confirmed my attachment method for the spoiler, I was a little unsure of which thickness of tape to use, yourself and TKvS have now answered that question.

The one off carbon spoiler and diffuser that I have made will each be given a coat of laquer this weekend, once fully cured and fitted to the car I may post a pic or two of them in separate thread sometime.

Thanks again!

Try to leave most of the tapes backing strip in place whilst fitting. Start it in a couple of places and remove completely when the position is correct.

I've stuck my current spoiler down with 3M double sided tape down with no problems at all, clean the area and stick the spoiler on and let it set overnight, had mine over 2 years and no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom