Boot lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
My boot lock turns freely as I often lubricate it with WD40

However when it is turned 90 degree in neither position does it actually trigger the boot to be openable.

It only unlocks and locks via key.. not a bad thing.. but I'd like the manual lock to work...

Thanks
Abs

no idea about whats broken but WD40 isnt a lubricant, its the reverse and will flush away any oils that are present. I used WD40 to clear all the gunge from the lock to get it working, then used PTFE spray to keep it lubed.

Cleaned up my son's 57 plate CLK500 boot opening flap and lock on Sunday.

On his car, the lock seems to be only used to open the boot in an emergency (guess that means when no power to the lock). You insert the emergency key, turn anti-clockwise and then pull the opening flap whilst maintaining pressure on the key. (NB will trigger the alarm.)

Checked in the handbook later and only the above was mentioned. Guess its possible MB changed the lock action over time though.

PS I use lub with PTFE spray on the flap hinge and graphite powder in the lock.

Last edited:
Just checked the handbook for my 2006 CLK.

It's different, insert the emergency key and turn 90 degrees clockwise from vertical slot to horizontal slot. Boot will then remain locked even when you unlock the vehicle centrally. No mention of emergency opening.

There is a footnote that states this separate boot locking is not available in all countries.

THis difference made me curious, so I checked my boot lock - its as I described in the post above, no separate locking, just the emergency open. So much for RTF(MB)M!

Further update, found a 'Supplement to the C and CLK-Class Owner's Manual' tucked in the back of handbook folder. This describes the emergency opening and states it replaces the 'Locking boot lid separately' section in the Owner's Manual.

This supplement is dated 07/03 which I guess is July 2003, so the emergency opening (at approx 75 degrees anticlockwise) feature should apply to your CLK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom