Boot locked!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghb

Car
W204 C200k, 2007 & W124 200, 1987
Hi everyone.
I have a 1987 W124 200, (it lives in Kenya) typical of a car of that age living in Kenya, it has a lot of problems. I am sorting them out one by one, but the most pressing problem is that the boot lid has 'locked itself'.
The central locking is not working and the key that opens the drivers door, passenger door and glovebox, never worked in the boot lock, (I suspect the boot lid has been changed at some time). We were leaving the boot unlocked until I could get around to sorting it, but now it is locked.
The 'door key' can be fully inserted into the boot lock barrel, but will not turn.
What are options to get the boot open? drill out the lock? cut open the boot lid to access the lock mechanism?
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

When the boot was working properly did the boot unlock with the car doors when the central locking was used?
Try WD40 sprayed into the lock, it is likely seized up. If the boot lid or boot lock was changed in the past then it’s quite possible that a new key would also have been supplied with the replacement lid or lock.

Dec

attachment.php

Look under rear of the number plate , .If push comes to shove, and you have no option, cut a hole in the body at the back of the number plate after removing it Looks like te vacuum is keeping it locked ..Some have removed the first aid kit to get to the lock Try removing rear seat swab .Then you have the tank to get past that way.Check fuses to the vacuum pump .Finf a vaccum pipe up the back end and get vaccum to it .Then it might open

Bit drastic cutting holes in the body. When the lock on my 450 seized the PO simply drilled right through the barrel and then used to open the boot by putting his finger in and operating the latch. It was like that when I got it and thats what I did until I got round to replacing the lock which now works fine.

The locks are operated by a vacuum pump under the back seat.

If the vacuum lines are intact, you should be able to operate the lock by attaching a vacuum pump to the line or by fixing the existing vacuum pump under the seat.

What shape is your key, square or round? The round key is a valet key that doesn't operate the boot or glove box. a replacement square key could be ordered from mercedes if thats what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom