Boot Opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjbarber281

Car
CLK 63
Morning all, just a quick one has anyone have any idea why my boot is not fully extending when pressing the boot release button, it used to work all the time now it only works now and again. The boot clicks open when I press the release button but no longer extends fully open so is their anything I can do or do I just live with the inconvenience of having to move my arm lol.

Thanks

The boot opening is regulated by the action of the springs next to the hinges.

The balance can be affected by the addition of a boot spoiler, or by weakening of the springs over time.

You could try move the springs one notch up to make them stiffer.

Vehicle settings menu

On my W221, the trunk opening angle can be set on my Vehicle settings menu. (It's needed by people living in wet climates or with a low garage roof)

I don't know the CLK63, but I would expect that you have the same option. It may be that it's been reset somehow.

It's worth just checking that this hasn't been activated, although there may just be a need for a spot of lubrication, or as MarkJay points out, springs may just have weakened over time (as happens from lack of use on the R230)

Last edited:
Could also need reprogramming. My neighbour had the same issue with his 2015 GLA a couple of days ago. I suggested that it may have just been accidentally set to only open half way, as I'm aware that this can be done, but he had MB roadside assistance come out and there was an issue with the software which needed resetting. Works fine now with no new parts.

I'm assuming that it's an electronically opening boot here and not manual?

Had a look at the springs and they were adjusted as far as they could go so I took my warning triangle off the underside of the boot lid and its working as it should now.

I had the same issue on my W209 with the AMG kit, the boot spoiler appears to be too heavy for the springs.

I've got the AMG boot spoiler and mine opens fine on whatever spring setting it currently is (not the maximum tension)... with all the gubins still mounted on the underside.

You can propose this to JC...: balancing a fresh egg on the boot lid spoiler then catapulting it using the fob. Must be worth a try....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom