boot password

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_cyp

MB Enthusiast
Car
Thinking of what to get next
I need some kind of utility that will require a password everytime pc is restarted, kids have got to that age were they want to use the internet for research, but im afraid 1 day there gonna get more than they bargained for.

So as mentioned need a program that will restrict access to the pc, that way they cant use it if either me or the wife arent there.

Ive tried setting password in the bios but that only requires when accessing the bios features, and the windows one well....... esc or cancel and it bypasses it.

thx all

Sounds like an old PC running Windows 9x.

If so, then with that OS, you're not really going to make it secure. Run Windows XP or W2k if its an oldish PC and you will be able to lock it down somewhat.

As a temporary measure, you could just make it prompt for a password whenever you 'dial out' to the internet and keep the password secret. Failing that, depending on how IT savvy the kids are, you could just put something in the Internet explorer proxy setting so that the PC cant access the internet unless you untick "use Proxy".

XP have password facilities and you can restict access to software etc. But you might rather want to allow them to use the internet but use something like NetNanny or even parental controls on internet security software.

andy_cyp said:
I need some kind of utility that will require a password everytime pc is restarted, kids have got to that age were they want to use the internet for research, but im afraid 1 day there gonna get more than they bargained for.

So as mentioned need a program that will restrict access to the pc, that way they cant use it if either me or the wife arent there.

Ive tried setting password in the bios but that only requires when accessing the bios features, and the windows one well....... esc or cancel and it bypasses it.

thx all

Whats the BIOS? Are you sure there isnt a BIOS option to ask for the bios password at every reboot?

Im running xp pro, found a program called password protect lock, needs a password now every time pc boots, i cal also restrict as to what a user is able to do on the pc.

Fine now and thx for the addvise all.

Hmm... with XP pro you shouldnt be able to just cancel past the login prompt :confused:

Very odd.

Probably has been set to use the alternative logon features rather that full authentication......

You can change some of the details in the control panel under the users icon.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom