Boot Sector Virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
I have managed to download a boot secter virus :doh:

What damage will it do and how the hell do i get rid of it? AVG and Malware bytes cant find it. It is properly dug deep in the drive. It has messed with the sound on my PC and has also somehow messed up Google chrome.

I have had to come on using IE which keeps opening other windows by it's self and going to dodgey sites :wallbash:

Is it a case of wiping the hard drive and booting from a floppy? Also is it safe to save anything i want to my external drive or will that also get infected?

:(

I have managed to download a boot secter virus :doh:

What damage will it do and how the hell do i get rid of it? AVG and Malware bytes cant find it. It is properly dug deep in the drive. It has messed with the sound on my PC and has also somehow messed up Google chrome.

I have had to come on using IE which keeps opening other windows by it's self and going to dodgey sites :wallbash:

Is it a case of wiping the hard drive and booting from a floppy? Also is it safe to save anything i want to my external drive or will that also get infected?

Get a backup of your data files.

Thereafter it depends on what it is. Presumably you have a name reported for it? If it's a TDSS variant you could try Kaspersky's free remover.

How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

If you are tempted to download free removers from anywhere else then check that its a respected and known source as there are plenty of sites offering so-called AV software that is fake.

The actual behaviour of the infection varies. Some setup backdoors into your computer to allow other software to be installed or external access. Some just take over your browser so you get popups and dodgy sites.

Update / change any passwords or access codes that you have used on external sites from the system that was infected.

My inclination would be to wipe and reisntall the system even if you do get it uninfected.

Last edited:
Watch out with kaspersky... they were distributing a fake a/v from their site the other day following someone breaking into their system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom