Boot spring tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubyred

Car
2017 C Class AMG Line
Hi Chaps,
This is for the people who are thinking of putting an aftermarket boot spoiler on their car.
Whilst I was putting in more sound insulation in the boot of my W205 I took a picture of the boot spring.
If your boot lid struggles to open after fitting your spoiler it looks like you just move the spring hook down one hole to retention it.
See photo. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 82359D85-8C57-49F9-BDC3-78F362260378.jpeg
    82359D85-8C57-49F9-BDC3-78F362260378.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • A4922B4B-7355-433E-A18D-9D970672A19C.jpeg
    A4922B4B-7355-433E-A18D-9D970672A19C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Owners of W202s will remember having to do this as the OEM brackets would snap off over time.

WARNING! - Be very careful of these springs, you can hurt yourself very easily as they are under high tension.

Wear thick gloves when doing it as they can pinch your fingers! I wore gardening gloves.

Even standing water/rain drops on the boot lid are enough to make the boot go from smash you in the jaw to a slow rise.

Last edited:
This is a job I need to do since fitting an aftermarket rear spoiler.
One to add to the growing list.

:) Reminds me of a boot spoiler story . Please bear with me this is old but related.

Yonks ago company car mods were taxable but half the time the mod we ordered would never appear on the bill whenever we ordered our cars (100 people in the company with car ) my mate ordered his Peugeot 406 with a boot spoiler and was promptly told to pay for it , I think it was in the hundreds £ (1990's) . Oh how we laughed.

Fast forward 18 months and 70K miles time for him to order another car....he ordered another 406 and took the spoiler off the old one , before it was collected I helped him spray-paint and put little plastic plugs in the holes in the boot deck !

He got the old spoiler painted to match his new company car and got busy with the Black & Decker , upon fitting the spoiler he was constantly getting hit in the back of the head by the boot lid ... You got it, most of the cost of the spoiler was the extra heavy boot springs that his new car did not have because it did not come new with a boot spoiler.! :D

First service he moaned at Peugeot who promptly fitted the correct springs FOC while apologising for the inconvenience ....different times. ;)

Hijack apologies. As you were

Got to do mine after boot moulding that i fitted .Just the mater of pulling the spring in to the hole away from the one its in now.

Liked the Peugeot story!
My boot is now fully insulated and put back together, haven’t used the car since so don’t know if it’s made any difference yet. I was just trying to eliminate some of the tyre road noise generated by the 19” run flats.
Will give the car a run during the next few days to see if it’s worked.

Please do report back and let us know if you think it's improved. Let us know what you did too, if possible - coverage area, materials used :)

Update on sound insulation I recently fitted.
There is a marked improvement with less road noise being heard from rear of car.
For your info Teddy, I stripped out all the side and bottom boot linnings and coved what wasn’t covered in insulation with self adisive 4mm car insulating material. It came in a 5mtr x 0.5mtr roll, you can get bigger rolls if needed. The company is called Car Insulation, I found them on EBay.

Ah, 4mm. The stuff I was looking at is 2mm. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom