Boot won't lock!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by MrSooty, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MrSooty

MrSooty New Member

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor
    Hi - our 2000 CLK W208 has an issue with the boot, which cannot be locked - either using the remote central locking method OR manually with the key directly - so not the usual problem of being unable to get in!

I have sprayed copious amounts of WD40 into the lock and tried using a pair of pliers to hold the key, whilst gently turning it....without success.

The Garage has now had a go and I am told that the fuse keeps blowing, indicating a break in the wiring.

Clearly, this could take time to identify exactly where the break has occurred and fix the problem, which could result in a (potentially) lumpy bill for labour!

Does anyone know of a cost-effective alternative to finding the wiring break, perhaps by taking the boot lock 'offline' and being able to simply lock/unlock it manually?

Many thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Fetos

Fetos New Member

Car:
    Mercedes clk 430
    Hi i have this im problem specially in cold mornings,my boot pops after fiew sec. After starting engine, what i found to close boot is i hold gray pin in side car boot botton so reed light comse off and olso hold button from boot for few sec. Almost can hear litlle click and boot shots. I just leave with it. U can buy for testing elecric current pen with bulb in side pen they are old but best they have sharp point so u can pin in wire so u almonst can go by bit un till bulb will light so from this part cable would need be replaced, sorry for not beinng more helpfull.

3. OP
    OP
    MrSooty

MrSooty New Member

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor
    Hi Fetos - thanks for the response, but I am not quite clear what you are saying here - can you clarify " holding the gray pin inside boot botton" which turns off the 'red light' inside the car (presumably the one near the gear shift selector?) .....

The only sound I hear currently, when operating the remote locking is the fuel cap being closed/opening....

Thanks

4. Fetos

Fetos New Member

Car:
    Mercedes clk 430
    So sorry im Polish my wrighting is not best, i just hold fully pushed boot button and in this im time on side lock mechanism is color grey like pin i hold pushed fully this as well this turns reed light near gear selector for 6-7 sec. And then i close boot. Work for me. Sorry.

5. OP
    OP
    MrSooty

MrSooty New Member

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor

Hi Fetos - no need to apologise for anything! My Polish would make you cry and the 'English' of some UK residents would make you laugh....

I don't have the car here currently, but will check a few more things before it goes back to the Garage -
    Dziękuję

6. Fetos

Fetos New Member

Car:
    Mercedes clk 430
    Thanks no worres