booting problem when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
Hi all,

When i try to boot up my computer it will often just turn off just after it giets into windows or perhaps as it is still loading or perhaps just as it enters the POST thingy at the start ....

This only happens when the temp in the room is 18 degrees C or below ....

Any suggestions as to what it may be? I have had a search around the internet and it seems it might be a dodgy solder in the circuit board which expands to meet when warm ....

To restart the computer each time i need to physically remove the power cable for 4 seconds or more then i can try to boot again.
It typically takes about 4/5 boots before the computer seems to warm up and then all is well - until the next cold morning!!

Cheers

Steve

Asrock k7s41
XP 3000+
1gig ram
xp +sp2
9800pro
thanks
:rolleyes:

I've had a similar thing happen to me before when the PSU (Power supply) was on it's way out. Got a new one for £5 from ebuyer and never happened again.

Mine also had a side effect of it 'appearing' to power on, but the screen just stayed blank.

My first instinct would be the Power Supply too, as your having to pull the power cable for it to reset. I'd recommend you buy a psu thats half decent though, some of these cheapy jobbies can be very loud, and I bought a 500W psu for £20, but I couldn't plug in more than 4 hard drives without it tripping all the time!

My first instinct would be the Power Supply too, as your having to pull the power cable for it to reset. I'd recommend you buy a psu thats half decent though, some of these cheapy jobbies can be very loud, and I bought a 500W psu for £20, but I couldn't plug in more than 4 hard drives without it tripping all the time!

Thanks for that - oh dear - It is a new PSU (well, newish ) I'd better return it to the shop (thanks all).

Strange how it only does it when cold ?!

How many watts is the PSU and how much stuff are you hanging off the PC?

Even a basic spec PC I'd suggest at least a 350w PSU to gain a stable power supply. If your running something high end with lots of drives and periferals hanging out of each orifice then +650w would be my advice.

Often I see PC's with 150W or 200W PSU's... the result being a less than stable machine.

Yeah , i used to have a 350W but now i moved up to a 450W which i think should be plenty - only 1 dvdrw and 2 hdd and the equipment as listed above in first post?

How olds the PC.. I've not heard this for a while, but didnt they call it chip creak. where the machine would have to warm up before contacts were made??

oh, err, probably just under a year old - bought it on ebay :)

pull all the removeable bits - from ram to processor and re-insert? free and easy.

also give the thing a hoover.. its amazing how much dirst gets in these things.

thanks - thats a very good idea - will do !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom