Boot's lid woun't open

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Coolshrek, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Coolshrek

Coolshrek New Member

Car:
    C220 CDi 2002
    Hi,
    the lid of my boot will not open. Every time I try the handle there is a 2-3 seconds grinding noise and that’s it! Surely there is something wrong with the locking mechanism but is there a way to get into it in the first place? The little emergency key is only turning 15 minutes/ 90 degrees counter clockwise but does not seem to provide a simple mechanical link that allows opening the lid non-electrically. Please help, how do I get in?Regards,
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']George[/font]

2. stevesey

stevesey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Clockwise to unlock isn't it? Key not working is probably the common problem of lock seizing due to lack of use, lots of penetrating oil and patience is usually the solution.

P.S. What car?

P.P.S Welcome.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    Coolshrek

Coolshrek New Member

Car:
    C220 CDi 2002
    Hello Steve,
    Thank you!
    After I posted the question I realized that last night in the dark, when I found the problem I was using the little key, but since the lock is a little upside down, I was turning the darn thing clockwise, which has only to do with how the lock reacts when activate by remote and only anticlockwise has to do with the mechanical opening of the lid!!! Since this lid’s lock issue is rather common, and for the benefit of knowledge I guess, make sure one turns the key anticlockwise. There IS indeed a direct mechanical opening link for the boot.
    Thanks again Steve. (the car is a C220 CDi, Build 2002, W203 006 )
    Regards,
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']George[/font]

Tags: