Boring out speakers holes on rear bulkhead ? Bad idea ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
on a W202. I was thinking of chopping the centre bit of metal out between the 2 rear speaker holes in the rear bulkhead to allow fitting of some 6 x 9's or the like.

is this likely to bugger up the structual integrity or anything - would a metal support need to be bolted on or anything ?? thoughts ???

this bit !

l2g0.jpg

cheers

Brett

Add stiff board such as MDF as the stiffening plate. The stiffer and better damped you can make that shelf, the better the sound will be.

I'm not sure that any 6x9 speakers are recommended by car audio folk.

As above, you can fit most 6.5" speakers in the original holes which will sound better.

Use woofers that fit the cutouts or build a plenum behind and mount them to that, "blowing" through the existing speaker holes

Strengthening the whole panel with MDF and deadening it with Dynamat, flashing tape, structural foam, etc, is a good idea. The woofers must have an airtight seal to the panel and, for best bass, you should block any other holes in the bulkhead

Nick Froome

Cheers for the replies. I did try with 6.5's (in fact 2 sets one in each hole !) Run as woofers and Dynamat etc but was not happy with the base. I'm not a base head by any stretch but like a bit. Due to having a LPG and a boot full of spare wheel a sub is a no no. In my old clk I was running a pair of 8" free air woofers in the shelf and the base was more than enough. I have trial fitted the 8" woofers but the chopping of the bulkhead would be too much. I know 6 x 9s are not great but they are good for max base from minimum space.I've ordered 2 sets of 6 x 9 MDF spacers and I thought I might mount one set on the top of the bulkhead and one set below the bulkhead sandwiching 2 layers of Dynamat top and bottom. I'm not really that bothered about sound quality as will run as woofers and concentrate on getting the quality from the front components.

Are you using all four doors as well as that adds a surprising amount of bass from small speakers.

The rear door speakers will be for the parrot use only. Haven't sorted the fronts yet.

Next question though is Dynamat actually more worthwhile than just using lead flashing at a third of the price ! Its not a high end install just want to stop some of the scuttle shake ??

If you put all the bass in the rear shelf you will have an uneven soundstage. Smaller speakers in all larger cavities will work a lot better.

If you put all the bass in the rear shelf you will have an uneven soundstage. Smaller speakers in all larger cavities will work a lot better.

Crossover the fronts at 100 Hz and the woofers at 80 Hz and I don't think you'll have a problem

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom