born again biker - maybe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I passed my test about 10 years ago, but never ended up buying a bike. But the seed of an idea keeps appearing. A bike for some week-end runs in the Cotswolds or occasional commute to work could be fun.

Two questions:

1. What type of bike is suitable? Is a Honda 600 type bike too much performance?
2. What's a realistic budget for bike, insurance and all the kit?

I know these are very open ended questions, but it's just an idea for now.

Ta.

ps. yes, I'll get some more lessons should I take this further.

Are you thinking a new bike or a nice used one? Performance moves very quick?
The last 600 I rode was a 1996 and that would get a serious move on and crack 158mph! They have got better and lighter since then!

Are you wanting a scratcher or something a bit more long legged?

Are you thinking a new bike or a nice used one? Performance moves very quick?
The last 600 I rode was a 1996 and that would get a serious move on and crack 158mph! They have got better and lighter since then!

Are you wanting a scratcher or something a bit more long legged?

I'm thinking second-hand but not a classic. Maybe something 5-10 years old. I remember being quite taken by the Suzuki SV650 when I first past. I just think perhaps a 600 would be too much performance and that a 400/500 a safer starting point.

The bike would only be for short rides and not touring.

I would look for a bike that has good low down torque rather than a sports type that has most of the power in the upper part of the range. Much more relaxing to ride!

I ride an older CBR1000 and it only goes as fast as I twist the throttle.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, but I presume you're a mature person and will treat the throttle with respect untill you've gained experience and confidence.

As far as insurance goes, if it's garaged that will help, though if you're going to use for commuting, that will load up your premium considerably!

The best thing would be to use for pleasure only, list all other vehicles you have access to on the application, garage the bike when not in use. Then I would expect your insurance to be £200-300.

BTW TPFT is a no-no, comprehensive is the way to go.

Honda CBR600's were (are?) the top selling bike in Europe.

Very competent, very quick and great handling too.

There are plenty around too.

A great start, if you decide to go down the sports bike route. Slightly more upright examples are Suzuki Bandit and Yamaha Fazer, both 600cc.

Last edited:
An Sv650 is quite a sensible bike I think. As Hawkwind said, its about how you ride it!

Some of my favorite bikes are smaller ones, the Aprilia RS250 and Honda RVF400 for example. The problem is, they are very focused bikes and they beg you to ring there necks and give them some stick. If you do this well you will be keeping up with the big ones!

A bit more torque and usability will help you keep the license for longer!

Honda CBR600's were (are) the top selling bike in Europe.

Very competent, very quick and great handling too.

There are plenty around too.

A great start, if you decide to go down the sports bike route. Slightly more upright examples are Suzuki Bandit and Yamaha Fazer, both 600cc.

I agree, a CBR600 can be a lot of things to a lot of people, a great all rounder. A Honda is also very hard to beat quality wise.

The thing that puts me off a Bandit is riding something called a Bandit!:eek:

Cbr600 is a cracking bike, as has been said fast, smooth,reliable, but for an old bugger like me, too easy to take past my abilities. I prefer a cruiser style - easy to ride, and no temptations to go too fast. Daughter no 1's cbr and the old mans bike..... View attachment 39987 Oh, she had a Hornet too. Bit of a hooligans bike. You wouldn't want one of those. View attachment 39988

Last edited:
I recognise that garage ;).

I started off on a Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat which is classed as a sports tourer. Lovely bike to ride and as fast as you would ever really need on the road but also very comfortable. I would say if you had a fairly tight budget you'd pick a really good example of one under 10 years old for around £3,000. I only got TPF&T theft insurance on it as I didn't have a garage and they quoted silly money fully comp and so I only paid about £120 for my first year (about 6 years ago, but bike insurance doesn't seem to have changed much since then). If its only a relatively cheap bike I don't think its worth going fully comp as, if you only drop it whilst maneuvering, etc. the extra few hundred you'd spend on insurance would put the bike right again and not load your policy for a few years to come. If you drop it any harder then insurance is the last of your problems!:eek:

As for riding gear, the sky's the limit! I would spend as much as you can afford in this area as you really do seem to get what you pay for in bike gear and you can't put a price on your safety. I would estimate that about £800 will get you pretty good stuff if you shop around and that includes helmet, gloves, boots and leathers (I got my first lot a Moto GP weekend where there were loads of discounts).

With the amount of inattentive drivers on the roads these days, I wouldn't have a motorbike. Sorry...

Falling into the mature rider age catagory, I would only consider an 'upright' riding bike. Regarding selection of m/c, I would say decide which style i.e. cruiser, trail bike, sports tourer or in fact race rep.

I bought a ZZR 600 which are not considered 'extreme.' I found it extremely quick/a little nervous on the throttle and a little uncomfortable although very good looking. I later kept an MT03-660cc single/street bike, which I thoroughly enjoyed riding sunday afternoons on country/winding B roads. I now keep 2 60's Honda twins for nostalga and their 'prettiness'.

Bear in mind you'll need an optimate to trickle charge the battery. Decent gear (I've got a Bell open face and a full face crash helmet) leather jacket, reiniforced jeans/leather trouses. boots and gloves all needed.Back protector probably a good idea as well.

Thanks all. Some food for thought there.

Regarding style of bikes, I quite like a fairly upright, naked or enduro style. Something like the Honda CB500F or CB600F. Some even have ABS which sounds sensible.

Hornet it is then!!
Also forgot to mention there are some great riding roads around Warwick :)

BMW G650GS looks nice too. :)

What dealers do you recommend in your area?

It DOES look nice :)
Having owned a BMW (many years ago) I can say that it was one of the best bikes I have owned.

TBH I couldn't recommend dealers much as I tend to do any work myself, but the family have bought bikes from Frettons in Leamington, the Honda dealer in Coventry, and Alf England in Bedworth and they all were very good (and professional).

I always get my MOTs done at PGS in Millers Road in Warwick, they are a small car garage run by a father and son who are real bike enthusiasts. I would trust them to do any work on my bike if required.

First, I would do a refresher course before you buy anything.

I would also not be quick to recommend a 4 cylinder sports bike. The riding position is often very aggressive and unless you are a racing snake you will likely find it exceedingly uncomfortable. Something like a CBR600 will also be very very quick indeed and it might be wise to start on something a bit more sensible and sedate and gradually work upwards in the power stakes.

As others have said, Hondas are very well screwed together and a Deauville that Druk mentions would be a very good first choice - especially one with ABS.

Depends on the type of riding style you're after. If you want the racing style then a CBR is a cracking bike. If you want a little less strain on your back and wrists then a Hornet, Fazer, Bandit or SV650 could be the way to go. My first bike was a 2002 SV650S and I rode it to Alicante and back. Great trip, comfy bike for the distance and a bit of power if you want excitement and a "lower grade" thrill. Any bike can fulfil your dream, it depends on how you ride it. Just because a bike has lots of power doesn't mean you have to use all of it all of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom