Bosch Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
All 4 of my brake discs ideally need replacement

Inspected them today and are forming a lip...

Had a look on ECP, with discount codes I can get Bosch discs all round (these are the most expensive front discs they offer and second most expensive rears) off for £153.. (see SC below)

IMG_2863.jpg

This seems very good value for money, Bosch is meant to be brilliant right? Must be OEM quality?

Anyone know how much OEM discs would set me back? I imagine much more than £150 right haha

Cheers

No idea personally but some Mercedes parts are quite reasonable so worth a phone call don't you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeh I suppose, but £150 for Bosch discs all around seems a steal :dk: thought OEMs were double

Measure the disc thickness with a vernier caliper and compare with the minimum allowable.

If within spec, remove the small lip with an angle grinder.

Bosch brake discs? No. More branding nonsense there!

Pair of fronts for my 210 (ATE, used to be OEM) = £53.

Last edited:
Measure the disc thickness with a vernier caliper and compare with the minimum allowable.

If within spec, remove the small lip with an angle grinder.

Bosch brake discs? No. More branding nonsense there!

Pair of fronts for my 210 (ATE, used to be OEM) = £53.

53 from Dealer? Seems incredibly cheap

Do you know which brand OEM is now, I thought it was Bosch?

Bosch have recently started putting Chinese made stuff in their boxes. Some of the oil filters are horrible. I fitted one to my work hack toyota corolla. The drain back valve was faulty and took seven seconds to extinguish the oil light every time you started the engine. Swapped back to a Mahle and it's out immediately.

Don't rule out genuine parts for brakes. Go in with your eurocarparts quotes and see what they will do. Trade can get up to 40% discount on genuine brakes so they have room to move.

Bosch have recently started putting Chinese made stuff in their boxes. Some of the oil filters are horrible. I fitted one to my work hack toyota corolla. The drain back valve was faulty and took seven seconds to extinguish the oil light every time you started the engine. Swapped back to a Mahle and it's out immediately.

Don't rule out genuine parts for brakes. Go in with your eurocarparts quotes and see what they will do. Trade can get up to 40% discount on genuine brakes so they have room to move.

Ah okay cool I'll give them a call on Monday and explain. Cheers mate

Taken from another forum. Not sure its entirely accurate but gives an idea of the multi national corporations behind the brand names. This indicates that ownership or brand may no longer be a indicator of quality. I prefer country of manufacture as an indicator if available, avoiding like the plague anything made in the PRC.
Pagid, mintex and textar are owned by TMD friction
Mintex is their budget brand, pagid is their middle of the road brand and textar is their flagship product used on the higher end cars.
Eicher is eurocarparts own brand made to an extreme budget to their own specs by tmd friction, may even be rebranded mintex in some cases at least have no evidence to support. Best brands are, textar, brembo, trw (VW, Renault OE), Bosch (Mercedes OE), ATE (Ford, Vauxhall OE), jurid (BMW OE)

Taken from another forum. Not sure its entirely accurate but gives an idea of the multi national corporations behind the brand names. This indicates that ownership or brand may no longer be a indicator of quality. I prefer country of manufacture as an indicator if available, avoiding like the plague anything made in the PRC.
Mintex is their budget brand, pagid is their middle of the road brand and textar is their flagship product used on the higher end cars.
Eicher is eurocarparts own brand made to an extreme budget to their own specs by tmd friction, may even be rebranded mintex in some cases at least have no evidence to support. Best brands are, textar, brembo, trw (VW, Renault OE), Bosch (Mercedes OE), ATE (Ford, Vauxhall OE), jurid (BMW OE)

Right so Bosch is Merc OEM? £150 all round on ECP. Will call dealer and discuss Monday :)

I thought that Pagid were one of the MB OE manufacturers?

At any rate, in the olden days Ate was king, with Brembo, Girling and Lucas following closely.

Right so Bosch is Merc OEM? £150 all round on ECP. Will call dealer and discuss Monday :)

The "Bosch" discs fitted as OEM from factory in Mercedes may not necessarily be the same "Bosch" available as aftermarket. That's the point. Bosch are pretty notorious for out sourcing their production to third parties. e.g. High Spec Bosch batteries are made on the same production line as Varta - they are identical appart from the branding. VARTA in turn are owned by the multinational JOHNSON CONTROLS. The whole area is a minefield. A general rule of thumb is --- if its cheap its crap. Try your local MB parts counter or online MB Newcastle has an Ebay store and Inchcape have a website.They can often be competitive on price with the well known brand.
Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape

The "Bosch" discs fitted as OEM from factory in Mercedes may not necessarily be the same "Bosch" available as aftermarket. That's the point. Bosch are pretty notorious for out sourcing their production to third parties. e.g. High Spec Bosch batteries are made on the same production line as Varta - they are identical appart from the branding. VARTA in turn are owned by the multinational JOHNSON CONTROLS. The whole area is a minefield. A general rule of thumb is --- if its cheap its crap. Try your local MB parts counter or online MB Newcastle has an Ebay store and Inchcape have a website.They can often be competitive on price with the well known brand.
Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape

Ah okay will take a look. Cheers:thumb:

They also do Brembo at good prices. Paid £70 for a pair of fronts from ECP/CP4Less

They also do Brembo at good prices. Paid £70 for a pair of fronts from ECP/CP4Less

Seems good value

Brembos are meant to be very good arnt they?

They also do 'performance' drilled brembos but you can't use the vouchers for 'performance' parts

The only reason I'd go for drilled is purely because of looks however haha, the stock brakes seem to stop the car perfectly well enough

Whatever you do, don't go to MTEC for discs - look fantastic (when new), and great performance, but rust terribly - I bought a full set of drilled and grooved ones, and they were covered in rust in a couple of months. Wheels off and painted with black Hammerrite, including inside the grooves and holes, one year on - seems to be holding for now, at least the bases, if not the holes/grooves ... also the working surface is not mirror-like (that might be related to OEM pads in combination with MTEC discs). Lesson learnt.

Cost me £320.00 for drilled disc's OEM fitted by MB. Very reasonable I thought:thumb:

Only thing that bugs me is both my disc's have the drilled holes going in the same direction.
Looks like I have to left hand disc's fitted to my car :mad:
Apparently that's how they are supplied :confused:

Cost me £320.00 for drilled disc's OEM fitted by MB. Very reasonable I thought:thumb:

Only thing that bugs me is both my disc's have the drilled holes going in the same direction.

£320 fully fitted? All round? Bargain mate :bannana:

Surely brake pads and discs are somewhat subjective? - What works well for one driver isn't necessarily the best for someone else.

I appreciate that we're not talking about track vs road, so there may not be a huge amount in it.

I wish there was an OEM option of drilled (at least) and grooved ones for my car, but alas ...

I remember a thread on whether OE discs were sided - there were different opinions ... I know for sure the MTECs are - as per their fitment guide.

Surely brake pads and discs are somewhat subjective? - What works well for one driver isn't necessarily the best for someone else.

I appreciate that we're not talking about track vs road, so there may not be a huge amount in it.

Tbh I think if I just got the Brembos/Bosch from ECP I wouldn't notice any difference from OEM but what do I know :dk:

Sometimes I think I over-think everything haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom