BOSE sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mizzat

Car
Mercedes S320
BOSE soune

A question to the lucky one's with BOSE sound system in their MB's. How good is it (compared with standard BM fare)?

When a car is specified with BOSE option, is it just the speakers that are different (for a W220 for example)?

Finally, if it is that good, any ideas on how to upgrade? are their better / cheaper option?

I have a BOSE lifestyle 25 at home so I am familar with the home product but never experienced it in a car yet.

Steve

I've listened to the Audi Bose kit before and to be honest wasn't that impressed.

I'd love to hear the optional HK Logic7 kit in the new E Class.

My car came with the Bose kit.

Its fine, but I have to run it at
Bass + 9
Treble + 6
Fader - 4
to get it to sound seriously funky.

The great thing about it is that it is all fully integrated with Comand, steering wheel and linguatronic.

But I wouldn't recommend Bose as a retrofit, personally.

To be honest, I had an equally good if not better sounding Pioneer set up in my C280 Sport - but integrated it certainly wasn't, so many functions it had a remote control for those buttons they couldn't fit on the panel.

Edit - where in the NW are you? Come to Manchester and listen!

Well I admit I am Alpine biased, but BOSE makes excellent home entertainment systems like SONY does, but the question you need to ask youselves is How much money does BOSE actually spend on R&D for their in car products? Maybe a small % as they have to think about other products which are manufactured i.e TV's etc... Alpine only make in car systems, so their R&D dept only have to budget for improving the quality of thier head units amps etc... Nuff said I think!

7998R anyone?

having said all that, their speakers leave a lot to be desired!

:crazy:

Originally posted by mizzat
Thanks Guy. I'm in Wigan. What about you?

Steve

Wigan...Brabus second home!

I live in South M/cr, office in central M/cr.

We should arrange a Northern GTG, quite a few of us round these parts now!

I've got the Bose option in mine and I think it sounds really good. However, I've not the oportunity to listen to any serious installs. Nor have I had chance to listen to the SLK's system without Bose, so I can't compare.

I wanted bose in my car , but , the dealer Couldnt find one with it for me :mad:

Originally posted by fuzzer
no , not yet , i think there is one on ebay tho :D

No hi-fi .. but some other very tempting stuff !!

Search on "Brabus" .. and "items available to the UK" ...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!

S.

Tell me about it .. i need to refrain from getting some 20" rims :)

Guy, I'm all for a northern GTG. Go for it.

GDC200: How would you fit a different headunit without removing COMAND?

Steve

Originally posted by Guy
Wigan...Brabus second home!

I live in South M/cr, office in central M/cr.

We should arrange a Northern GTG, quite a few of us round these parts now!

Yup , northern GTG sounds good too .:bannana:

I have BOSE system in W140 S500 - need to run bass and treble at high levels to achieve decent sound - dont think they are worth the money ... better go for aftermarket fitments

Originally posted by mizzat
GDC200: How would you fit a different headunit without removing COMAND?

Steve
Greg does not have Command fitted, like mine he has the standard Din E fitment.

My car has BOSE from the factory and it's not bad at all. The original headunit developed a fault (while still owned by the previous owner), and they swapped it for an aftermarket unit. It still sounds good but I can't help wondering if it would be better with the BOSE supplied headunit.

Regarding the Harmon Kardon question earlier in the thread - when speccing out my next company car (E220 CDI - Still debating that vs new beemer 5) I spent ages trying to find a review of the harmon Kardon system available as an option. Here's the 1 review I found (it sounds good in writing and probably much better than the bose):

System Score: 9.0

Components: The optional Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system in the E500 uses the best of modern technology and good ol' fashioned brute force to build an incredible soundstage. Twelve speakers are found all over the cabin. There's a center channel, tweeters and woofers in every door and a pounding subwoofer in the rear shelf. These are driven by a 420-watt amplifier/sound processor and get marching orders from a complex CD/tape head unit with a color LCD display and steering wheel-mounted controls.

Performance: The amplifier designed by the Lexicon division of Harman International, "converts standard two channel audio sources into a convincing seven-channel surround sound playback matrix." The Matrix? What a cool movie. So, what does that have to do with the stereo system in a Benz? Well, imagine how amazing the sonic trickery is in the Keanu flick, and how that can be achieved with a five-channel home stereo. Now picture a tight cabin filled with 12 premium speakers, seven channels of expanded sound and more power than most folks keep around the house. It's a true 360-degree experience, with no obvious distortion at any reasonable volume.

Cymbals sound very clean and chimes resonate as if they are hanging from the rearview mirror. The midrange sounds realistic and live recordings reveal intricate details such as a singer taking breaths between lines and rustling of papers in the recording studio. The subwoofer is extremely strong without sacrificing sound quality. Unlike some booming systems, bongos and other hand-played drums are allowed to rebound instead of the initial strike masking the rest of the beat .

I WANT ONE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom