Bottom of car hits ramps on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silverf6

Car
Bclass
My b class is too low to the ground and whenever I go over road ramps it hits them , is there any way I can raise my car up without spoiling it’s look?

Pump up your tyres, slow down or take a detour.
Tyres are right pressure, I’m down to zero miles an hour, I live in an estate which is covered in ramps , maybe I should move out of the estate and that would cure it .or better still sell the damn thing and buy a decent car.

Reactions: AW8
Sorry to learn of this. If you live there & you cant avoid it grounding out then sell it.

I suspect that if you have issues then others do too. I would consider speaking to the estate manager or residents association chair to get the humps re-done.

Unacceptable, unless your car is lowered to a ridiculous level......in which case no sympathy ;)

I can't recall a complaint like this before. Were you living there, and were the ramps there, when you bought the car? If so, presumably you were aware of them. Are they unusually high? Is the car running on standard suspension and wheels, or has it been mucked about with?

I understand your irritation, but it doesn't really seem fair to blame the design of the car for the problem; unless there's something wrong with it, you bought an unsuitable car for your particular circumstances assuming it would be OK. I've done that myself, and I dare say plenty of others on here have too. Nobody's at fault; it's just one of those things, and unless you can live with it, as you say you'll either have to move, or sell the car and buy a different one. An SUV would be a better bet by the sound of it.

Last edited:
I can't recall a complaint like this before. Were you living there, and were the ramps there, when you bought the car? If so, presumably you were aware of them. Are they unusually high? Is the car running on standard suspension and wheels, or has it been mucked about with?

I understand your irritation, but it doesn't really seem fair to blame the design of the car for the problem; unless there's something wrong with it, you bought an unsuitable car for your particular circumstances assuming it would be OK. I've done that myself, and I dare say plenty of others on here have too. Nobody's at fault; it's just one of those things, and unless you can live with it, as you say you'll either have to move, or sell the car and buy a different one. An SUV would be a better bet by the sound of it.
Think I’ll look for a mokka or rav4

Are these “cushions” where your wheels pass either side? If so, then try altering your road position so that one of your wheels go up and over the hump, rather than trying to straddle it.

This may prevent the scraping and it may also be kinder in your ball joints and suspension generally.

Are these “cushions” where your wheels pass either side? If so, then try altering your road position so that one of your wheels go up and over the hump, rather than trying to straddle it.

This may prevent the scraping and it may also be kinder in your ball joints and suspension generally.
I do this with those ramps but other ramps are across the road.

Maybe the speed bumps have been made too high as there is a maximum lawful height they should be

This is very uMusial. The nature of the B-class means that it’s neither particularly low nor long wheel base and so there must be something very wrong with your car or the bumps are unusual. If it’s affecting you in a B-class then it must be even worse for other drivers in lower cars.

Can you see the damage on the car, and if so which part of the car is catching? If you can’t see the damage, can you describe the sound, does it sound like metal or plastic, at the front or the back, etc? Can someone get out and watch/video as you drive over the hump?

As crazy as this sounds - do you have room and so tried to traverse in a diagonal manner at slow speed?

I do this with those ramps but other ramps are across the road.
Where is this? I ask because even when my car is lowered right down as far as it will go...I have never hit a ramp in Belfast or anywhere else.

Has the exhaust ever been changed on the car? have you inspected the underneath of the car to see if anything is hanging down, (exhaust clamps??). Has the car had new suspension? correct wheels fitted? can you see where the scrape marks are?

kc

Maybe the speed bumps have been made too high as there is a maximum lawful height they should be
It’s certainly worth checking this. Getting anything done about it if they are too high may be more difficult though.

On the subject of grounding on speed bumps, the W177 A-Class has gained a reputation for this. Certainly my A220 will ground on traversing some speed humps at very low speeds - even sub-10-15mph - that I could drive over at 20-25mph in either my W212 E63 or Angie’s R172 SLK55.

This is very uMusial. The nature of the B-class means that it’s neither particularly low nor long wheel base and so there must be something very wrong with your car or the bumps are unusual. If it’s affecting you in a B-class then it must be even worse for other drivers in lower cars.

Can you see the damage on the car, and if so which part of the car is catching? If you can’t see the damage, can you describe the sound, does it sound like metal or plastic, at the front or the back, etc? Can someone get out and watch/video as you drive over the hump?
It’s sounds like metal hitting in the centre of the car , probably the exhaust, I will try and get it on a ramp and see what’s hitting

It’s sounds like metal hitting in the centre of the car , probably the exhaust, I will try and get it on a ramp and see what’s hitting
Perhaps a hanger is broker and it’s out of position. Hopefully easy to spot and fix.

I appreciate that you say it sounds metallic, however, does the car have mudflaps? It's not unknown for some mudflaps, particularly aftermarket, to catch on those full-width plastic type ramps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom