Bought a different brand because of salesperson/dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi All,

As per title, have read people saying this a lot on car forums, “I've test driven a car recently which I have actually been in the market for and actually came away not wanting the car/brand, purely because the dealer pushed the sale too hard and it put me off, and decided to buy another brand”

I wouldn’t do this, would just try and find same brand car, at another dealer to buy from.

Has anyone else had the same experience, and bought a different brand because of it.

I wouldn't buy another brand because of the selling dealer. Once the car is bought you don't have to use that dealership again. Once the warranty period is over (or even before), you can go elsewhere if needed. Sometimes the service staff are excellent even at the same dealership

Yes, that always makes me wonder:

"I really wanted a C Class but the salesman was a K%ob so I went next door and bought a 3 Series!" 🤷‍♂️
I’m not sure if some really do do that, or they are just making up stuff, for the sake of being on a forum, but if they have genuinely done that, I just can’t get my head round it, it’s really cutting your nose to spite your face, there are plenty of salesperson/dealers around, why buy a different brand because of a k%ob.

I'm not fond of over-pushy sales staff. But it's a two-way conversation - if you engage. Just ask the seller to slow it down a bit.
Chances are he fears you going somewhere else and being sold a car by someone even pushier. Selling's a funny old game from the other side.

I’m not sure if some really do do that, or they are just making up stuff, for the sake of being on a forum, but if they have genuinely done that, I just can’t get my head round it, it’s really cutting your nose to spite your face, there are plenty of salesperson/dealers around, why buy a different brand because of a k%ob.
I totally agree. I sometimes think they're the sort of people that like to be sucked up to. And If they don't get their desired level of pampering they spit the dummy out.

That reminds me, my brother who wanted to buy a W211 a few years back, as he has his own property maintenance company, so after work he went to a merc dealership, in jeans and t shirt, they weren’t dirty or dusty as such, just normal, none of the sales team gave him the time of day, that experience didn’t put him off the brand, next day he went to another dealer, in jeans and t shirt, there are plenty of merc dealers in London 😀, and the said dealers couldn’t have been more accommodating, and he bought of them.

That reminds me, my brother who wanted to buy a W211 a few years back, as he has his own property maintenance company, so after work he went to a merc dealership, in jeans and t shirt, they weren’t dirty or dusty as such, just normal, none of the sales team gave him the time of day, that experience didn’t put him off the brand, next day he went to another dealer, in jeans and t shirt, there are plenty of merc dealers in London 😀, and the said dealers couldn’t have been more accommodating, and he bought of them.
I normally go in my Mankini. They do the deal fairly quick.

Sales staff are there to sell - not suck ****.

but some (my in-laws are a great example) want the Yes Sir, no Sir routine with added coffee and cake!

That kind of service makes me cringe. I’d prefer they call me by my Cristian name too.

Must be hard for sales people to get it right given customers have many levels of expectation.
I said, sales staff....
🥳🕺🤣

but some (my in-laws are a great example) want the Yes Sir, no Sir routine with added coffee and cake!

That kind of service makes me cringe. I’d prefer they call me by my Cristian name too.

Must be hard for sales people to get it right given customers have many levels of expectation.

🥳🕺🤣
Me and the Mrs are the same, when I go to a dealer, I don’t want too much fuss, as I have done my research on the cars and how all the options work, checked the you tube videos on said car, don’t need finance or the add ons, just need to give the car a proper once over, without the sales staff on my shoulder, have a test drive, check all the paperwork, and if everything is to our liking, then sit down and do the deal.

The current car purchase was a doddle, as all the negotiations was down via phone/email.

But appreciate that other buyers prefer the other approach.

🥳🕺🤣

When I have been into Audi, they ask my name, I give them my first name and they stare at me as if I've done something wrong (probably think look at this peasant lol). I've got a good relationship with the service advisor now and he does call me by my first name but usually when no one is around as he would probably get into trouble for not calling me Mr. XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom