Bought a private plate - do I need a V317 to keep the original reg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psilonaught

Car
W212 E63
I have a leased E63 and the finance company are happy for me to put a private plate on the car. Last time I put a private plate on a car (owned outright), I just paid my £80 to DVLA and got a new V5C. When i sold the car, I transfered the plate to a new car and I got the original reg on a new V5C sent back to me.

The company i bought the most recent private plate told me I will lose the original plate if I don't use a V317 form. Is that true? I was hoping I would automatically get the original reg on a new V5C at the end of the lease, once I had put the private reg onto a new car, like last time??

Can someone advise - don't want to pay £80 unnecessarily.

It's likely but not guaranteed you'll get the plate back. If you need the original plate you'll have to pay the £80 or take a chance.

It's likely but not guaranteed you'll get the plate back. If you need the original plate you'll have to pay the £80 or take a chance.

This is what I was told by the DVLA.

Whenever I've taken a private plate off of one of my cars I've always got the original reg back. This wasn't always the case when you had to do it at a local DVLA office, but now it's done quickly and easily on line it is almost certain you'll get back the original registration number.

I guess it depends on whether the number you are taking off is a number that someone else might find interesting, it is unlikely DVLA will re issue your number unless it interesting as a private plate.

I guess it depends on whether the number you are taking off is a number that someone else might find interesting, it is unlikely DVLA will re issue your number unless it interesting as a private plate.

I am quite sure the DVLA have never reissued a registration. I have asked them on two occasions to reissue one that was issued in the 1920's and another from the 1940's. neither still exist, but the DVLA insist they will not reissue a registration number that has at any time previously been issued. I am sure when they get low on desirable plates to sell this policy will change - when it suits them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom