Bought a S205 today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Well, not me exactly....but the father in law - I've done enough car buying recently :eek: (although I still ended up sorting the deal out for him!)

He currently has a 2 year old C220cdi S204 and I've got to say, my first experience of the W205 demo today was very impressive.

The whole car feels a real step-up in ambience and quality to the 204 - the interior and seating position are particularly outstanding for a c.£30k car. Things like the metal switchgear and the nicely shaped and chunky steering wheel make it feel very rich....this bodes very well for the forthcoming C63 which will sell for twice what he paid for this car. Unlike BMW's M3, which is too similar to the 1-series in terms of design and material quality (so is very disappointing when you get the the M3's price point), the C-class appears to have an interior which can stand up to the AMG's £60k+ price tag. It was also very refined, and although the engine is still clearly a 4-cylinder diesel, it was much more muted than in the 204.

I only had a brief go in the demo today so I can't really comment on its handling characteristics but it rode nicely (non-airmatic) and felt very solid, if not particularly 'agile'. It was disappointing to hear the panoramic sunroof rattling away (one of the reasons I hate sunroofs) but the one he's bought doesn't have this option....it was very obvious because the rest of the car was so quiet.

He's opted for another C220cdi auto estate in Sport trim, which is decent for a mid-range spec considering it's got things like (basic) nav and LED headlights as standard. He's opted for no options (bar the auto 'box) because after years of Peugeot company cars before his current S204, even these mid-range Mercs are like luxury to him.

He's got a long wait for the car as it doesn't arrive until.....next Sunday :eek: Amazing that MB already have free stock of such a new model, but I guess the lack of options he's opted for helps here.

Anyway, whilst I was very impressed the car, I think it's such a same that MB aren't selling any 6-cylinder engines on this new model - all it needed to be a proper little S-Class was a more silky and better sounding engine. As it stands, theres just such a huge gap between C250d/300h and the C63 which is just calling out for C400 and C350d models to fill.

Last edited:
Yes nice car but lack of 6 cylinder diesel has put it off my shopping list for the wife. I'm looking at the 6 cylinder diesel Alpina next year.

Since the early days of the pre-facelift W203, the engine choice on the C-Class has been gradually narrowing down...

Not too bothered personally, they are great cars, I currently have a 4-pot C-Class which I am looking to replace with another 4-pot, but it is an interesting observation nevertheless.

Due to the car market moving to the US style model based around monthly payments and delivery from dealer stock.

I suppose the C-Class is going downmarket into Mondeo/Vectra territory...

I was in a brand new E350 coupe in the US last week. My company co-owner had bought it and said very few Mercs are now bought from stock. Actually he wanted a E500 but couldn't get one from stock.

Vis a Vis short delivery I wonder if the first few RHD S205 are built in GERMANY rather than the saloons built in South Africa which adds a sea journey to any delivery period?? IRRC rumour was with the last SOUTH AFRICA model --the W203--- the way to get a German built car was to order an estate or 6 cylinder model. :dk:

I'd say so - I had an email come through towards the end of last week from the fleet manager of my local MB dealer network, the headline points he was trying to get across was along the line of "get your staff into a Mercedes for Mondeo money"

Yup the 6-cyl models have been dropped from the Viano/Vito ranges too :(

Well, not me exactly....but the father in law - I've done enough car buying recently :eek: (although I still ended up sorting the deal out for him!)

He currently has a 2 year old C220cdi S204 and I've got to say, my first experience of the W205 demo today was very impressive.

The whole car feels a real step-up in ambience and quality to the 204 - the interior and seating position are particularly outstanding for a c.£30k car. Things like the metal switchgear and the nicely shaped and chunky steering wheel make it feel very rich....this bodes very well for the forthcoming C63 which will sell for twice what he paid for this car. Unlike BMW's M3, which is too similar to the 1-series in terms of design and material quality (so is very disappointing when you get the the M3's price point), the C-class appears to have an interior which can stand up to the AMG's £60k+ price tag. It was also very refined, and although the engine is still clearly a 4-cylinder diesel, it was much more muted than in the 204.

I only had a brief go in the demo today so I can't really comment on its handling characteristics but it rode nicely (non-airmatic) and felt very solid, if not particularly 'agile'. It was disappointing to hear the panoramic sunroof rattling away (one of the reasons I hate sunroofs) but the one he's bought doesn't have this option....it was very obvious because the rest of the car was so quiet.

He's opted for another C220cdi auto estate in Sport trim, which is decent for a mid-range spec considering it's got things like (basic) nav and LED headlights as standard. He's opted for no options (bar the auto 'box) because after years of Peugeot company cars before his current S204, even these mid-range Mercs are like luxury to him.

He's got a long wait for the car as it doesn't arrive until.....next Sunday :eek: Amazing that MB already have free stock of such a new model, but I guess the lack of options he's opted for helps here.

Anyway, whilst I was very impressed the car, I think it's such a same that MB aren't selling any 6-cylinder engines on this new model - all it needed to be a proper little S-Class was a more silky and better sounding engine. As it stands, theres just such a huge gap between C250d/300h and the C63 which is just calling out for C400 and C350d models to fill.

Mercedes UK have chosen not to have the V6 which is available in Ireland as the C400 4matic, with 2996cc and 245Kw.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content...lass/w205/facts/drivetrain/petrolengines.html

I see the C63 is now a 4litre!!

Last edited:
Took my ML into MB Chesterfield a couple of weeks ago. They gave me new C200 petrol as a loaner. To say I was impressed in an understatement, what a lovely little car. All the performance anyone could want in this type of car 0-62 in 7.3secs very smooth and comfy. I achieved 47mpg without trying. Cannot see the point of getting a rattly old diesel.

The irony is the actual car feels like it's jumped up in quality - IIRC, the 204 was seen as a considerable step up from the 203 and this really does seem like a lil' S-class.

I've also recently had a lift in a new Insignia actually and, considering the top end versions cost as much as this mid-range C, it's not even on the same planet in terms of refinement and ambience. It's easy to see why people aren't buying the mainstream anymore.

Vis a Vis short delivery I wonder if the first few RHD S205 are built in GERMANY rather than the saloons built in South Africa which adds a sea journey to any delivery period?? IRRC rumour was with the last SOUTH AFRICA model --the W203--- the way to get a German built car was to order an estate or 6 cylinder model. :dk:

Really, made in SA? I know some MB's are made in other countries (our ML is from the States) but surely if they also build them in Germany, the European cars (inc. UK) would come from there purely from a logistical point of view? Or are all C's now made in SA?

Anyway, the lack of 6 cylinder does appear to be a (shameful) sign of the times - I kind of expected they'd release one after the initial launch but I guess if they were going to do it, they'd have done it by now.

I keep saying that Mercedes know they have screwed up with the last gen of cars, unless you went very top end the interior quality was average at best.
The new C Class is a real step up in quality and puts Mercedes ahead of the rest with regards to luxury imho. It bodes well for things to come.

Agree on engines though, but 2015 is meant to see the new straight six petrols arrive, far more efficient and starting with a 2.2 litre. They may be holding out for them?

But really annoying the sublime C400 is not available, the W205 deserves an engine like that and almost needs it to get the attention from petrol heads and press alike.

Agree on engines though, but 2015 is meant to see the new straight six petrols arrive, far more efficient and starting with a 2.2 litre. They may be holding out for them?

A range of straight sixes that are efficient and clean would be fantastic if only to preserve the future of configuration containing more then 4 cylinders!

I wonder if they'll launch the C450 as part of the AMG Sport sub brand in the UK?

The outlaw picked his new S205 up today and it really is a step up in terms of design and aesthetics but it's not got off to a good start.....37 miles into ownership and it's gone into limp home mode! :crazy:

I've also recently had a lift in a new Insignia actually and, considering the top end versions cost as much as this mid-range C, it's not even on the same planet in terms of refinement and ambience. It's easy to see why people aren't buying the mainstream anymore.

The Insignia is a cut above the rest and a real motorway muncher, feels £££ more than it costs
and I would prefer to do 100,000 in that than a MB oil burner .......................... reliability wise.

Badge appeal at the services and reps meeting hotel car parks MB wins of course.

Last edited:
The irony is the actual car feels like it's jumped up in quality - IIRC, the 204 was seen as a considerable step up from the 203 and this really does seem like a lil' S-class.

Really, made in SA? I know some MB's are made in other countries (our ML is from the States) but surely if they also build them in Germany, the European cars (inc. UK) would come from there purely from a logistical point of view? Or are all C's now made in SA?

Anyway, the lack of 6 cylinder does appear to be a (shameful) sign of the times - I kind of expected they'd release one after the initial launch but I guess if they were going to do it, they'd have done it by now.

You must have missed post#10...only in the UK is a six not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom